Mid-range of RF-7 vs RF-3??

cip4465

To those that have had both RF-3s & RF-7s, or any that have demoed them both..

How is the mid-range of the RF-7s compared to that of the RF-3s. I ask because the size of the drivers (10s vs 8s). I may be way off here, but I had thought that smaller drivers gave better results in the mid-range. What are you alls perception of the mid-range between the two? I know the RF-7s will kill the RF-3s in lower bass, but I was curious if the mid-range suffered at all?

Thanks in advance for any infoI currently have a full set of Reference 3 series (the original series I version). Im contemplating upgrading all of them up to the 7 series.

"but I was curious if the mid-range suffered at all?"

Not to my ears,I have the RF-5's(similar to RF-3,in better finish and a few minor changes),RB-5's,RF-7's,RC-7.

The RF-7's are efortless,and dont lack in the midrange.Yes at first I had doubts about a big 10" mid bass,remember the tweeter goes quite low and the 10" drivers are fast.There are no problems with midrange(speed or coloration).If you like the RF-3's you should be very pleased with RF-7's.

More output

More efortless

Deeper bass

Bass has more impact(at same SPL here)

The tweeter is more detailed and of better quality,true compression design

Higher quality finish(cabinet)

Better quality posts(take the BIG heavy duty biwire speaker cables with no problems)

In one word BETTER,no matter how you listen on look at them.Only problems may be size and higher price(still economical for all you get).

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Thanks for the response. Here is my situation, I am currently running my reference 3 series with a Denon AVR-5700 receiver. I currently have it setup so that all speakers are set to small, and I have an adequate (which will soon be more than adequate) sub taking up the low end. This is the THX recommended way of doing things according to my receivers manual (which is loyal to THX as well).

That being said, Im really not hurting for my RF-3s to crank out more low bass. What I would like is a more potent center channel speaker (something that the RC-7 will give me), and more potent and also stronger surround speakers that can take the power of a very healthy amp (something that the RS-7 will give me. I wont upgrade the center and surrounds without doing the fronts though as I want the same horn in all channels. Plus, Im sure the RF-7 have an all together sound than the RF-3.

So, I would have the RF-7s set to smalland it just seems that it would be such a waste. However, they would probably sound better in this frequency range than the RF-3s Im sure, and thats what I was trying to determine. From your response, it sounds like this is the case.

Am I crazy to run RF-7s as small? Am I crazy to follow THX & Denon recommendations for speaker setup? Thats a whole other topic right there!