Resizing your attachment folder HOWTO

mustang guy

Many of us have a good many attachments. Mine was almost to the limit 100MB, so I went about resizing and posting smaller more compressed versions of the images, many of which were over 2MB each. Now I have 20MB of files. This is not for the faint of heart. Here's what I did:

1) Download FastStone Photo Resizer

2) Create a folder on the desktop to download images to. I called mine "resized klipsch"

3) Open "My attachments" on this forum, and 1 screen at a time do the following:

4) Right click image name, and "Save link as", and save to your desktop klipsch resize folder

5) Right click topic header to right and open in new tab

6) Click checkbox to right of topic header

7) Repeat steps 4-6 until you have all the large JPEGS downloaded

8) Using FastStone photo resizer, resize the images. Note: I downsized mine to max width 900 pixels. Have files stored in a subdirectory of your resize klipsch folder called smaller

9) One at a time, edit posts in the tabs you opened. You will need FULL EDITOR

10) Click CHOOSE FILE and navigate and select the file with the same name in the "smaller" subdirectory. DO NOT CLICK ATTACH FILE yet! It will fail.

11) Once every tab has a value in the Choose File area of it's editor, go back to the "Manage Attachments" tab you opened in #3 above.

12) Click "Delete Selected" at the bottom of that screen under the checkmark boxes.

13) One at a time, go to each tab and click "Attach this file".

14) One at a time, go to each tab and click "Submit modified post".

15) Delete files in "resized klipsch" directory and in the "smaller" subdirectory.

16) Click "Clear" on the input list of FastStone.

17) Repeat steps 3-16 until you have resized all images you want.

Best of luck everyone. If I had access to the file server, I would have simply run FastStone on the files themselves. Since I don't, this was the only way I could figure out to accomplish it.

Craig

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1