Altec VOT versus Big Klipsch Heritage....any comments?

12ax7

Interesting how the horns are on the bottom when they are mounted up high as monitors. Man, that must be a lot of sound with the multiples like that, wonder what kind of amp a studio like that would use to drive them? What are the advantages, or difference in sound, when the horns are mounted on the outside sitting on top of the cabinet?

-C&S

------------------

Cornwalls

currently upgrading

to all tube components

This message has been edited by Clipped and Shorn on 07-16-2002 at 11:44 AM

I had a JBL Paragon for a while too. I had just gotten married and was still thinking like a single guy when I bought it. It was a long time before it was allowed out of the garage - even longer for me. It had a very ragged low end and needed a lot of equalization to be listenable. The stereo imaging was good, once you got used to the idea of everyone being two feet tall. You could walk all around the front of it and the soloist would stay put - kind of like walking around a stage.

When I sold the Paragon I discovered Miss Sadie-dog had been using the space underneath it as bank. She had stockpiled all sorts of dog cookies and toys under there, which she could retrieve by sticking in her big German Shepherd paws and batting out whatever she was after. She has since found new depositories, but I am a little leery of looking too closely into the subject.

Capt'n Bob

Tom,

I just took a look at the Voice of the theater web site. The prices arn't bad.

Last week I ordered a pair of diaphrams for my 288-16K drivers from a company in Australia. They are new, but they arn't Altec. This company makes them for the old Altec drivers. They were the same price that I see you can buy the genuine new old stock ones for on that web site.

My 16 ohm diaphrams are fine, I just ordered the 8 ohm version to go with an 8 ohm Altec network that I'm going to try.

I'll have to check out that Voice of the Theater web site every now and then.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

Clipped---I never heard A7s with the horn mounted in the port (which was larger when used with the horn inside, you move various removable boards around). Altec made a home furniture version of the A7 called the Magnificent, it was "upside-down" with the horn and port on top.

I guess this is REALLY IMPORTANT before I continue.

This is a general Big Horn question:

My room is only 12' 9" x 12' 3" but with a large opening <6'x7'> onto another room. The speakers flank the opening and face the couch.

Am I kidding myself lusting after these big old Horns??????????

Can I reach the promised land with such a small room??

12ax7---Horns give very low distortion and explosive dynamics, these virtues are useful in any size room. However the dispersion patterns of the horns are gonna greatly effect the speaker's tonal balance in a small room. Here the wider pattern of the Altec horns would be an advantage over the narrower pattern of the Klipsches. Believe me, I've been there. :-)