Speaker placement for HT?

AUGIE

Well once again I'm searching for your wisdom! I have a room that I've framed and before I drywall I'm running pipe for all my speaker wire. SO I need to get an idea where to put my rear surrounds and rear center. The size of the room is 24' by 14.5', I'm going to be projecting a screen on a far wall so I'll be using the room LONG ways. My fronts will be on Omni mount speaker stands, my center on a shelf my sub on the floor in a corner, but what about the rears? I would like to use either wall or celing omni mounts, but how far should I place them in the room? Oh the seating will be about 12' back from the screen, about center of the room. the celings are about 7.5', can I use celing mounts and just put them in the far corners or is this too far back? They are SS.5s and my reciver is a Sony St985. Thanks for any info. Signed Dumb Newbie

I would place the surrounds even with where the seating area is going to be (12 feet back from front). In a room that big, I would also seriously consider putting in a rear center. Even if you don't plan on adding one now, at least run the wires for one so you have the option to add one later as you upgrade speakers/equipment.

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B Surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - Recycled)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp DX-200 (CD - ancient)

RCA DWD490RE (DirecTV/Ultimate TV receiver)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)

my ht room is about the same dimensions, but i have a short front/rear left hand side wall w/10' opening in the middle, so i put my ksps-6's about 2-3ft.behind and above head height on the rear side walls. GET THE CENTER REAR! right now i'm simulating a center rear and it really makes a difference. avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center (looking for 1-m.o.klf-20)

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

Natuzzi red leather furniture set

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

Augie - I think for the SS-.5s you would want them about 2-3 feet above your ear level when seated and slightly behind the seating area.

If you wire in advance for a rear center, you may want to hang the rear center from the ceiling, rather than on the back wall, as that might be too far back from the seating area...

Doug

------------------

My System

Thanks guys,and Doug thanks again you have been a big help also thanks for the OMNIMOUNT tip I'm going to use those mounts for everything! So Ill place the rears on eitehr side of the seating area, I'll be using the celing OMNIs so the speakers will be about 7 feet hi. Ant thoughts about that configeration? Once again thanks for all the input!