HT Speaker Advice

WTM

I am adding a den to the back of the house, which will also be used as a Home Theater (first time). The room is 21x24' with 9 walls opening to a 14 cathedral ceiling. I plan to run a Denon 3802 with a Sony DVD player.

Any suggestions on speakers? I want to take advantage of the 7:1 on the Denon. I have been looking at the RCW-3s (In walls to keep my wife happy) and RC-311 (center) and the RSW-10 (sub). One dealer claimed the RCW-3's could be used for the front right & left as well.

Any help for this novice would be appreciated.

This message has been edited by WTM on 07-24-2002 at 11:10 AM

Well it depends on how much you want to spend. The RF-7's would be the speaker I would choose for my fronts. You could use a couple of RCW-3's for your fronts but if I were you I would at least use the RCW-5's. Are you trying to keep the whole system in the walls? If not then I'd consider floor standing speakers for the fronts.

Stay away from in wall for you critical listening system if you can.

YOU CAN NOT MOVE THEM!

Moving around an SB3 RB5(on stands of course) or rf3 gives you much desired tweaking flexibility.

I have RC3 and RB5s. A great way to go if it fits the budget.

I am real picky; I have been into this obsession since 1976.

Also recommend 15% of system cost for speaker cables and interconnect budget(Audio FLynn rule of thumb).

Some people hate to pay more than the cost of a six pack of bud for a pair of cables.

I suggest somewhere between a bottle of single malt scotch and a romantic dinner for 2 with a nice cabernet for a per pair expense.

in-wall klipsch speakers have pivoting horns or tweeters to help direct the sound where you want it, and if placement is flexable, you can get very good results using them. bookshelf or floor-standing would be preferable, ESPECIALLY for the front, so my suggestion would be in-wall for the side and rear surrounds, with bookshelf or towers for the front. IF you have to use in-walls for the front,get the best matching in-walls you can, and put them in the wall FACING you,in the ceiling works, but doesn't sound nearly as good as in the wall,ESPECIALLY for the front.

avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center (looking for 1-m.o.klf-20)

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen