Which center speaker?

Vladi

Hi,

My first post here!

I bought a new system, that I also want to use for music. It consists of (only the audio equipment):

Quintets - 4 satellite and 1 center $374

KSW-12 - $449

Sony STR-DE975 - $337

It is very good for movies, but I was so disappointed for music, that I immediately went back and bought 2 front SB-2 speakers. So now I have:

SB-2 - front speakers

Quntet center

Quintet rear surround

My dillema is:

1) Keep the Quintets, and use the 2 additional in the other room.

2) Return the Quintets. Get SC.5 for center $170, and get 2 quintets online for about $90. This way I save about $110, but have no speakers for the other room Frown.gif.

Please advise me on:

- How much better sounds SC.5 compared to the quintet center? So far i have noticed that the Quintet center is a bit weak on the lower-mids and the sound is a bit metallic/boxy (as was the case with the satelites when I used them for fronts) I definitely don't want to go with SS.5, compared to the quintets they are bulky and I have no place for them. The quintets will do just fine for the rear surrounds.

I am renting, so in-wall is not an option.

Thanks in advance,

Vladi

I have also heard that it is possible to route the center to the front left and right. How is this done, is it thru wiring, or is it a feature in the receiver (I am still learning my new receiver functions).

Also, is it a good idea to route the center to the L&R?

Center channel is usually a receiver setting. Set your receiver's speaker setting to no center speaker and give it a listen. The effect is not bad--but will not replace a good center speaker--my 2 pennies worth.

Return the 5 Quintets and buy just a pair on-line. You won't want to use them for music in "the other room."

Then, use the "savings" to get the SC-1 for the center versus the SC-.5. With any savings that are left, put it towards a pair of KSB-1.1s, which you can find all over Ebay. Those will be fine as a pair of "remote" speakers for another room, IMHO.

Doug

------------------

My System

Thanks to Doug and LDC for the excellent advise. I was kinda leading myself towards the same decision as Doug. I will return the Quintet, get the SC1 and whenever I have the money get some speakers for the bedroom. I just came back from my local Good Guys and they had an open box SC1 for $178.

I also listened to the setup without a center chanel, I found the setting on my receiver. It sounded much better than with the Quintet center. However, it was awkward in a way that diaologue was sounding surround like, and wasn't bound to the screen.

I am all excited about my new HT!

Vladi