How important is it to match speaker cable length?

Fireball

I have identical runs of 21' of #12AWG Monster Cable to my Front Left, Center, & Right Speakers. When I install the Rear Left & Right Surrounds their placement dictates a run of about 40'. I intend to use the same type cable. Will the additional length pose any problems? If so, what options do I have to correct it? Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Rock On!

Rock - Your DVD/preamp/receiver/"whatever you are using to decode your Dolby Digital" has settings in it for the distance to each of your speakers. It uses this to adjust the delay correctly. Of course, 40' of wire might be used even if you are only 6 feet from your rear speakers. But, you can play with that setting if you can hear a difference due to the distance. At the speed signals travel through wires, I know I can't hear a difference.

some prefer the rear surrounds to have a delay for those HT effects. u may want to even set the rears to a closer distance on your receiver than they actually are. kind of virtually extends your back wall.

at only 40' u won't hear any delay due to wire length.