Type A Crossovers Paul Liked Them

I've been reading some great things about the Type A crossover (1st order). It has less electronic parts in the signal path, has less phase problems and PWK claimed he liked it best for the Klipschorn. I'm not sure what compliment of drivers he was referring to.

However, I've also read that 1st order crossovers are not very good because there is too great an overlap of frequencies for each driver. And with such a small slope you're asking the drivers to exceed their frequency limitiations which causes distortion from over excursion. I'm wondering why the 1st order would work so well? My theory is that the woofer on the K-horn starts to roll off around 400hz so having a 6db slope works well because you can't really hear the Squawker until 400-500hz and then the Squawker rolls off naturally and the tweeter takes over from there and extends out so a 6db slope is all that is needed.

Am I understanding this correctly so far or am I way off base?

Wouldn't more electronics in the signal path degrade the sound? If you have drivers that have a large fequency range then wouldn't you then need a larger slope to avoid overlapping frequencies but if your woofer and squawker naturally roll off a larger slope wouldn't be needed? Do Klipsch speakers roll off like I believe? My K-horn is from 1958 and the former owner only blew out one tweeter in that time and it was an accident. I don't think tweeter protection is relavent if you don't make your ears bleed.

cwm10.gif

This message has been edited by trader on 08-08-2002 at 11:06 PM