Surround speaker options

e85gtx

New to the community and have always wanted a set of Klipsch speakers.  I finally made that dream come true and the following is arriving tomorrow:

RP-440C

RP-250F x 2

I am going to slowly upgrade my Onkyo HTIB speakers and the rears and sub are left now.  I am using a Denon X3000 AVR to power everything.  My question is, has anyone used the RP-140SA's as their surround speakers instead of as atmos speakers?  The problem I am having is my fiance wants the rear speakers moved up higher near the ceiling and our couch is directly against the back wall.  Would I be better off with the RP-240S instead?  It looks like I could mount the SA's up by the ceiling and they would angle down toward the listener with a clean look.  I have not found any pictures of the "bottom" of the speaker to see if they can be mounted like this.

I have been putting this off because running the wires will be a pain!  All but one wall in the room is an exterior wall and has fire stops at various distances up the wall along with insulation.  I think my best option will be to install crown molding and run all the wires behind that to the interior wall.  Then I can run everything down into our unfinished basement and back up to where the AVR is.

Hey Jay does the 140SA fit on top of the 250's or are the 250's too short for it to balance properly?  I have both coming shortly and I'm trying to lay out my game plan.  I'm using the 250's as my rear surround (as well as my side surrounds).  Cannot friggin' wait!

Thank you.

So I'm pretty much outta luck with the RP-250S.  Seeing as the depth on this speaker lists at 7.92" and the RP-140SA has a depth of 11.25".  Is my best bet building (or buying) a shelf for them to sit on above the 250's?  I have the 280FA's and the 450CA's coming as well for my LRC.  Really excited but also a little overwhelemd with figuring out adding the rear 140's.

I would not sit them on top of the 250S as I am assuming it is your side surround speaker. The DAES style of speaker when used in the rear should be approximately a mirror placement of the front DAES position. See attached photo showing the correct placement. Speaker 6 would be your RP-140SA placement.

I should add that my "theater" room is a bit oddly shaped as my house is a split level and my rear wall/couch placement is not ideal for rear surrounds. There isn't a ton of room in the back and if I move my couch any more forward my wife is likely to move me and my toys to the backyard.

If you are sitting that close to the back wall then how are you using back channels? They would basically fire into your head or over you if mounted high. I have stopped using back channels as my couch is 3 feet from my back wall. I do think placing the height channels as close to the recommended location is worth the effort. What I am suggesting is you do 5.1.4 as close as you can to ideal layout.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk