Integrated Amp for Chorus II's

tcklze

I've been rocking out all summer with the sphinx, and although I'm no phono stage expert, the debut carbon with 2M Blue sounds killer to me through the sphinx. I also replaced the stock JJ tubes with a set of NOS Mullard CV4003's, and it is killer! I'm very content, and have taken the upgrade path for both the amp and TT as far as I can. I also replaced the crossovers, mid/tweeter diaghrams with crites upgrades. Love it all! Thx for all the advice.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Don't be afraid to try low wattage tube amps.I currently use a Shishido design 2A3 DHT SE (direct heated triode single-ended) amp of 2.5 watts output (newer design Russian or Chinese tubes are abundant) with no preamp required (no phono at the time). For most of my listening this is more than enough power.I liked the sound of the Shishido  so much I built an extra, just in case.This little amp is not bass shy by any means.Good power and output transformers are available from Edcor very affordably, or one can try the more esoteric and expensive Japanese output transformers(Tango for example). For a great sounding kit, Tubelab makes  circuit boards for a 2A3, or for  indirect heated pentodes (6550,EL34) that are run in triode mode.They also sound amazing.Just a couple examples of infinite  options.Easy and cheap to build, just respect the high B+ voltages as they can be lethal.