Surround sound with older speakers?

KTklipsch

I have a pair of KG-2s (or 3s?) that are about 12-13 years old. I want to use them in a surround sound system - actually, I'll probably start out with one of those surround system 'fake' systems that use the TV to act as the center speaker, mostly to save money on buying a new receiver, etc.

Can someone recommend what speakers I should get as my back/sub/center...and maybe a new brand/model of receiver?

Please email me responses at kthorne@computer.org

Thanks!

KT - Probably the best center speaker that matches the KG2/3 is another KG2/3 (if you can fit it). Next is either the KV-2 or KV-3 (discontinued but sometimes available on Ebay or some of the other audio classifieds). Next would be the currently available SC-1 (part of the Synergy series).

Your rears could be the SS-1s (also out of the Synergy series).

Get at least a 12" sub if you can - you'll appreciate its strength over a 10."

It's easier to suggest receivers if we know your budget. What range are you looking to stay within?

Doug

Thanks for the information...

As far as my budget goes, I don't want to spend a lot of money, but then again, I want something that's "worthy" of driving Klipsch speakers. I really haven't price shopped a new receiver in at least a decade so can't really tell you. If a receiver is twice the price of what I thought...but is worth it, well, I'd have to consider it! Hope this helps?

I know many others will have suggestions on receivers, as well. As with speakers, you need to give them a listen (preferably in your house with your speakers) before the final purchase.

Many on this board like products from Denon, Yamaha, HK, Pioneer, and NAD with Klipsch. Some Sony fans, too. You can find nice units in the $400-800 range from all these manufacturers. I have a Denon 3300, myself, which can sometimes now be found near $700-800. The Denon 2801 and 1801 are also good choices.

KT, one receiver I particularly liked and was incredibly priced was the Nakamichi AV-7 or AV-8. I had an AV-7 which I bought off of Ubid for $225. It is AC-3/5.1 ready but doesn't include a DTS decoder, but other than that it is really clean and powerful. If you're using Klipsch speakers, you'll never get the volume knob past 11:00. You might also check Ebay for these.

I have since gone to a Denon unit because I wanted to incorporate my late grandfather's McIntosh MC-2105 amplifier and needed a pre-amp out. The Denon unit lets you drive the fronts with a dedicated amp, and reassigns the two liberated amplifiers to the side surrounds required by THX. The Denon AVR-3800 runs about $1200 on the net if you shop around. Tweeter sells it for a shade under $2,000.

Dollar for dollar the Nak AV-7 or 8 is a big bang for the buck. Go to www.audioreview.com to read reviews about them. You can buy a third party DTS decoder to insert between your DVD player and receiver. I have a very clean Millennium 2.4.6 decoder in my basement if you're interested; it's about as good as they come and I'll part with it for $125 or so.

Good luck.

------------------

Denon AVR-3800

McIntosh MC-2105 (Fronts)

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Klipsch Cornwall I's (LF/RF)

Klipsch KT-LCR ©

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub