PM v.2-400 Repair vs Digital Receiver Option

Greedo12

Hi,

I've had the promedia v2.400's almost since they were released a few years ago. I've not had a problem with them.

I've recently moved into a new house, and during the first week, we had a huge thunderstorm - since then they have stopped working. No power, or sound at all. I suspect that the control pod and/or amp has blown up. I've tried replacing the fuse, but no joy.

These speakers are obviously out of warranty, so instead of coughing up the dough and wasting time on repairs, I'm considering buying a cheap(ish) 5.1 amp to power the satellites.

Any thoughts/ideas on suitable models? This is purely for PC use. No need for a sub as I'll be upgrading my HT and using my existing one from there.

Thanks for your help!

I suspect that the sub was probably zapped during the storm, therefore it'll probably be heading for the garage/dumpster fairly soon Frown.gif

I'll just be using the satellites with the receiver, along with the sub from my HT.

Any thoughts on suitable receivers that won't overload these little speakers? These are 4ohm right?

I do have home insurance for the house, however I think that making a claim for this small(ish) amount would not be worth the possible increase in insurance premium - you know how insurance companies work these days! Smile.gif)

If it had zapped my pc at the same time, then yes, I would be on the phone immediately (although not during the next storm) Smile.gif

ok, here are the posts i have made about this...

Receiver 8ohms Impedance

ProMedia 4ohms Impedance

ProMedia 2.6 Volts per speaker channel

Receiver 6.1 Volts per speaker per channel (70 watt receiver)

just so you can figure this on your own in the future.

Watts to amps.

(W x 1.3)/120V=I

that gives you Amps=I

Amps to Volts

V=IxR

So, 60 watts times 1.3= 78 (/120)= 0.65

V=0.65x4=2.6V

The satellite ratings...

60 Watts

.65 Amps

2.6 Volts

The receiver ratings per channel...

70 Watts

.76 Amps

6.1 Volts

Just for fun...

60x5=300Wx1.3>390/120=3.25>x4=13V

70x5=350Wx1.3>455/120=3.79>x8=30.3V

You are putting 2.35 times more power into the speakers, potentially.

YOu can blow the speakers, whether you will or not, i don't know and can not really say. It all depends on how you use them. If you did not turn them up beyond what you feel is their breaking point, 46 watts out of the amp, then you should be ok. but there is no way to tell when you are at 46 watts on that receiver but tha tis the approximate blowing point. you also have to think about the frequency, the sats can not handle below 150-180hz, what does that receiver cross over at?

So, use the formulas i posted above, or just give me the figures of a receiver, or the model would be better, and i will figure if the receiver will work without chancing damage to the speakers Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

s>

Hey Justin,

Thx for the info.

Taking a quick squint on ebay, there's a few Sony receivers going cheap - most range around 8ohm / 100watts per channel, which would mean an early death for the PM satellites if they were driven hard.

I'm still wondering about the cost of getting a semi-decent receiver vs the cost of repairing the PM v2.400's vs the cost of upgrading the whole thing to PM5.1/Logitech Z560's.

Of course, if I just upgrade, then I'll have the 4 'spare' satellite speakers just sitting around, not doing much. They could always be relegated to duty in the garden I suppose.

I've got a complete Klipsch HT setup, so I'm ever-so slightly biased towards the Klipsch sound, and would prefer to stick with them.

Either way, I'm not keen (actually I am, but the wife isn't) to spend too much $$$ on the solution to this problem.

Any final suggestions before I splash some cash?

you only need a receiver that can take a digital input and has at least 47 watts of power, all ratings equal. some say 100 when they really are 70, so you have to be careful about that.

if i were you, i would save money and get a receiver that is on the cheap but still good enough, pretty much any receiver is, and connect the sats to it and your old ht sub. i know that Technics, Sherwood and teh RCA receivers (the gold and black ones at radio shack) are all great budget receivers.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5s>

Email Me

Here is what you can do. You could try to get a new amp such as this one here on ebay. These amps are extremely easy to replace (unscrew the 8 screws, unhook two wires from old amp, rehook those same two wires to new amp and screw back into place on rear of subwoofer cabinet) and if you find a decent deal, could be cost effective also. I have done this last fall when my amp decided to go south on me and has been working great ever since.

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B Surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - Recycled)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp DX-200 (CD - ancient)

RCA DWD490RE (DirecTV/Ultimate TV receiver)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)