Breathing Life Into RF-3s

QBNCGAR

Hey all, kind of freaking out here a bit...I've had and enjoyed a pair of RF-3 towers for around 15 years or so now, paired with a trusty Yamaha RX-V995.  Recently, for giggles, I refurb'ed a pair of Advent Baby II speakers and connected them to the B side of the amp to make sure they work & burn in a bit.

What I started noticing, pretty quickly, was two things;  first, they punch a lot harder in the mid-bass range (the Baby II has a 6.5" driver and is rated to 60Hz).  Second, they resolve details a lot easier - LOTS easier - than the RF-3.

I'm kind of gobsmacked.  The Baby II's are 25 years old.  I spent $25 in total putting new drivers in them, as the originals' woofer surrounds disintegrated.  They're laying waste to these vaunted towers in ways I hadn't remembered or thought possible.

I've gone so far as to do A & B switching between the RF-3 and the Baby II from the same source, reference songs, same speaker wire & banana plugs at the amp, ensured placement was on rule-of-thirds lines, turned off the sub entirely.

Am looking for any thoughts or suggestions for bringing these RF-3's back to life.  Placement, toe-in, whatever - lay it on me.  It doesn't make sense, and I'm already to the point where when I turn off the Advents and go back to the RF-3's, I'm disappointed...which sucks.  What do we do?