KG4 impedance mismatch as surround rears

bakerjimh

I have recently replaced my broken receiver with a new Yamaha receiver (RX-V730) and am will soon add a new pair of Klipsch speakers (Reference RF3 II) to the system.

My problem is I want to use the crisp sounding new speakers as my main (front) speakers and also still use my old fuzzy sounding speakers (Klipsch KG4) as the rear speakers in a surround sound set-up. The rub is an impedance miss-match, as the new front RF3 IIs are 8 Ohm impedance and the old rear KG4s are 4 Ohm impedance.

Unfortunately, the receiver only has two impedance settings and the recommended levels for both do not match my desired set-up with 4-Ohm speakers on the rear.

Left switch position 4 Ohm or higher main speakers and 6 Ohm or higher rear speakers.

OR

Right switch position 8 Ohm or higher main speakers and 8 Ohm or higher rear speakers.

Since I want to use the new 8-Ohm RF3 IIs as the main speakers, then the Left switch position is out. Since I must go with the Right switch position, then the old 4-Ohm KG4s have only half the required impedance.

So can I simply add a 4-Ohm resistor to each KG4 speaker to correct the mismatch?

If so, what kind of resistor is to be used?