Surround setup - basic question:

kenratboy

OK. In our little home theater, we (I, actually) have been too lazy to put up surrounds. For $$$ reasons, we will be using 4" 2-way KLH (direct radiating) with keyholes in the back. Questions:

-They will be facing sideways (if I was standing in front of the TV, it would be like they were headphones, facing at my ears.) Is that OK?

-What position (as far back as I can, near the seating, immediatly behind the seating?)

-How high should they be placed, my mom will not let them be below 6 feet, so I guess I have no choice...

-Anything else?

I will probably get some real speakers soon, but they need to be SMALL (mom again... This is not my room Smile.gif ), like SS.5 size. Would somthing like the SS.r be best for our application?

This is being driven by a healthy Pioneer receiver, so power isn't an issue.

I am a stereo phreak, but I have no experience actually placing a surround speaker! Pathetic, but I gotta start somewhere!!!

Thanks for the help!

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

For JBL related subjects and more fun, click: http://www.audioheritage.org

Kenratboy asked:

-They will be facing sideways (if I was standing in front of the TV, it would be like they were headphones, facing at my ears.) Is that OK?

-What position (as far back as I can, near the seating, immediatly behind the seating?)

That is actually what you want. Try to place them at or slightly behind the listening/seating position.

-How high should they be placed, my mom will not let them be below 6 feet, so I guess I have no choice...

Right around 6 feet should be good, so put them right at 6 feet.

I will probably get some real speakers soon, but they need to be SMALL (mom again... This is not my room ), like SS.5 size. Would somthing like the SS.r be best for our application?

I think the SS.5 would work good in your situation. Of course, this gets into the holy war over direct radiating versus WDST type. Unfortunatly, the best answer I could provide is that you'll have to somehow get a set and try for yourself to see how something like the SS.5 would sound in your specific application.

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B Surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - Recycled)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp DX-200 (CD - ancient)

RCA DWD490RE (DirecTV/Ultimate TV receiver)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)

This message has been edited by skonopa on 09-05-2002 at 09:16 PM

Thanks!!!

I would prefer WDST because our seating is NOT condusive to good surround sound, so I need the speakers to barf out some sound for the room.

I best be getting to work. Now, I need to find some cheap, white speaker cable...

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

For JBL related subjects and more fun, click: http://www.audioheritage.org