cornwall I squawker against back panel

revox2tr

Hello,

I noticed that the back panel presses against the back of the squawker - I have the option to believe that this would be part of the original design in order to brace the cabinet front to back. I am currently upgrading the crossovers, opened the cabinets so I just saw the marks on the interior padding of the back panel.

- K55 are screwed all the way

- mark is visible on both speakers (same configuration, consecutive serial numbers)

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this.

squawker to back panel.jpg

squawker to back panel 2.jpg

Thank you for the info djk.

I am optimistic on improving the sound of the Cornwall - not sure yet if replacing the old crossovers with new ones (Sonicaps) will bring the upgrade - considering I do not want to alter the dynamics and live music feel the speakers provide - will follow up after testing on this subject, off topic here.

Very intriguing and a dilemma still:

1) The "bracing" squawker-back panel may be a design feature : compression on the metal horn (with possible positive effects on ringing)  combined with reducing resonance of the back panel - follow up would be leave it as is.

2) On the contrary: bringing vibration from the back panel into the squawker body assembly with negative effects - then insulation and/or separation of the two would be the right choice.