Refurbished PM 4.1: Don't Waster Your Hard Earned Cash

Ledwinka

I recently bought a Altec Lansing XA3021 for my Xbox console: I already have another AL 2.1 sound system for the PC.

However, the new issue of the 'Wired' magazine ripped the XA3021 apart for them being most overrated speakers: I had to agree, since besides for the booming effect and the loudness that I get, the sound effects from XA3021 was not an ear-opening experience.

Therefore, I went for the less expensive but still highly regarded Klipsch ProMedia 4.1, refurbished one.

Guess what: Do not buy this stuff.

First, I ordered this in a hurry and got it as a two-day shipping: hell, it came with no rubber protectings(feets) for the satellites that was said in the manual.

Oh yeah, the manual itself was a one-page, photocopied stuff.

For people who own the 4.1, I am sure it is one helluva system but for me, when I checked the Klipsch website to see whether if the 4.1 was Xbox compatible, it did say something about the game console.

Hence, it was to my horror to find that upon calling the tech support after receiving the refurbed PM 4.1 to find that you needed the digital decoder for Xbox etc... Well, I protested, your website said the 4.1 was useable with 'game consoles'.

Oh, with DDs, they say. What the....

What about this refurbished 4.1 having no manuals and rubber feetings? Oh, that is WHY WE CALL THEM refurbished. Duh! THE website DID NOT SAY what that definition of refurbished is except stressing that there may be some cosmetic blemishes. This one did not, but the overall ripoff experience deriving from the lack of information and that I had to return it at my expense really p@@@@@ me off.

In the end, it cost me about $40 for wasted shipping fees. No way I will deal with Klipsch: I will rather skip being frugal later and go for Bose.

Hence, for people who are drooling at the lowered price of the refurb, FORGET IT: save your shipping fees and massive dissapointment of customer service.

However, I am sure that it is a wonderful system but I am more sure that there are other wonderful systems with better people behind to support them.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Don't buy refurbished units. Your just asking for trouble, IMO. I would'nt be that suprised that they did'nt come with everything the manual says they do, after all they're refurbished. The 4.1 is a great system, just so long as you get a new one. Same goes for the 5.1, and 2.1. The 5.1's don't have refurbs yet, hopefully they won't given the high number of problems that series has alone, but the 2.1's do.

About the xbox... yes you need a digital decoder to run it with the 4.1's... I guess they "neglected" to mention exactly what you need.

I too agree the customer service is not up to par, with perhaps the exception of a couple of people.

------------------

I am Canadian!!!

• Moderators

If you're having trouble with a refurbished unit, or any of our products, please send me an email directly, and I'll make sure you're taken care of. The refurbs do have a 90 day warranty.

------------------

Amy

ProMedia Tech Support

promediatech@klipsch.com