Heresies & Janis subwoofers

bassetized

howdy!

just like to say hey and ask a question.

found 2 Janis subwoofers and a Dahlquist DQ-LP1 filter for $250. does anyone know how well they would mate with Heresies...

the rest of the stuff is:

Fisher KX200 amp

Fisher KM60 tuner

Pioneer DVD changer

thanks,

chels

------------------

We came to wreck everything and ruin your life, God sent us!

Is that the Janis SW-1?

Keep in mind that the Janis was usually sold with the dedicated external amp / crossover. It is not a powered sub. You will need to supply an amplifier(s), and it/they will need to be pretty hefty to keep up with the Heresy.

The Janis has very extended bass response, but it does not have the "slam" or "punch" that newer models have. A good amp can overcome this, to some degree. It goes very, very deep.

The Dalquist crossover is a good design, which is a good thing, 'cause you've got to crossover the sub at a fairly low frequency and with a very steep slope. It has a lightwieght paper coned driver with a crimped paper surround, and if you don't filter out the upper bass / lower midrange frequencies upstream of the subwoofer amp, you will hear them.

It is a bee-you-tee-full piece of furniture. Probably the most attractive piece of audio-as-furniture I've seen, outside of some of the Legacy Audio products.

Be *SURE* you have the chance to listen to it before you buy it, or that you can give it back if necessary. There were a LOT of factory seconds / beat up Janis out there a few years back, so much so that the thing got a bad reputation in some circles. Good examples are a very good subwoofer.

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

uh, and the answer to your question was yes, given (a) a good crossover (Dalquist qualifies), and (B) a heck of an amp if you're gonna rock out.

For $250, I'd buy them even if the only thing I was going to use them for was coffee tables or end tables. Big end tables.

do the veneers match?

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

actually i don't know about whether they match or not, or if they are SW-1's. i saw this ad in the paper. they also have some Yamaha M50's for $150 each. don't know if i want those or not. i remember these things being paired up with ProAcs and other minimonitors..figured maybe my Heresy's bass response might match.

thanks for the help.

chels

------------------

We came to wreck everything and ruin your life, God sent us!

My big old Cornwalls were full range speakers, so not just any sub-woofer will do. Most of the mid-bass sub-woofers sold around the $500 price point today will not help them much, even with the EQ knob dialed down as low as possible.

My Klipsch KSW200, for example, was great for movies when I first got it, although its peak in spectrum is about 60 Hz. This meant that I could not get any punch from it without it intruding on the Cornwalls low end. The result made the Cornwall bass boomy. They could help with the low-end, but not dramatically. (Hey, what did you expect for $250?) The point I am making here is that even if a no-name sub is not doing a great job, it can contribute to the music and especially to movies.

Unfortunately, if you switch between the two formats, as I do almost every evening, this can mean changing the volume control two or three times per evening. (The Klipsch subs have a A/V switch for a 3--dB boost, but since it is on the back of the unit, it is hard to figure out which one it is. It is easier to simply give the larger volume knob a 1/4 to 1/2 twist more when switching to TV.)

The trick that I have learned over the years is to stand near the sub and dial the bass response up until it sounds boomy with the music, then back off the volume until it doesn't boomy at all (it may disappear so much that you think that you are not getting any bass). When you return to your seat however, you will find that indeed, the sub is helping out in the mid-bass range.

For $250, the large and boomy Klipsch Ksw200 does in fact make a significant and enjoyable addition to even full-range loudspeakers, even when used as judiciously as nuts on a sundae.

10.gif