Newbie needs help with HT choices and settings

flippindocks

Hello and thanks in advance for your help. My living room is 19x19 with a trayed ceiling that goes from 8'....up to 9'.... then 10' in the center. My listening preference is 60% movies, 40% music. I have a Denon AVR-X3300, a pair of RP-280's, and RP-450C center channel (work in progress towards a 5.1 setup). In the X3300 setup, under "speaker config", I can choose "small" or "large" for each speaker. Which should I choose and why?

Next, I have to choose rear speakers and have narrowed it down to RP-160M's or RP-250C's. As you know, the 250C's are twice the price of 160M's ($850 vs $420). Will I really get twice the sound and twice the sound quality for spending twice the money? I'm a practical guy, but if those 250C's are "all that", then I'll buy em.

Last, it's sub choice. In a word, I want something that's "killer".... but not overkill. Something that rounds out the aforementioned nicely with a very solid bass note. Are 2 subs really needed?

3 options I'm considering are:

1. A single SVS PB2000
  2. A pair of SVS PB2000's (if a single isn't enough)
  3. A single HSU VTF-15H MK2

Thanks everyone!

without subs you go large and when you get subs you go small...small tells the Denon you want the subs to handle below the crossover point....large for now says u have no subs and the main speakers should handle it all

i like both the 160s and bipole surrounds.  its truly a preference and for sides i do really like the bipoles but either will be Great

short answer on subs is that one sub is always enough but if you want a really hq theater 2 makes for much more consistent bass over a larger area.  you want subs to be audibly invisible....u dont know where they are and if possible for bass to be very consistent.  with one sub its possible but quite often it will only sound 'great' in one small area.  2 really takes it up a level but not because of volume....because it is smoother.  also your denon has 2 sub inputs it will very nicely integrate 2 for you.

used is always a nice option.  i got my 160s for about 250 + shipping