Matrixing for DTS 6.1 Matrix and Discrete

m00n

So, when you have a 5.1 DTS signal, yet you have a rear channel, as Boa said, it will matrix out to the 6th channel. To do that, does it duplicate signals from the side surrounds, or does it take away from the side surrounds?

Then with a discrete 6.1 DTS ES signal, I am assuming it does not affect the side surrounds, is that correct? But what if you have a 6.1 DTS signal with no rear? Will it put what would be the rear channel into the side surrounds?

"So, when you have a 5.1 DTS signal, yet you have a rear channel, as Boa said, it will matrix out to the 6th

channel. To do that, does it duplicate signals from the side surrounds, or does it take away from the

side surrounds?"

yes. it dupes the material common to both surround channels, mono info, & outputs it to the rear surround.

"Then with a discrete 6.1 DTS ES signal, I am assuming it does not affect the side surrounds, is that correct?"

yes, correct. the processor won't affect the given surround output, whether 6.1 matrix or discrete.

But what if you have a 6.1 DTS signal with no rear? Will it put what would be the rear channel into the side surrounds?

yes dts es matrix or discrete & dolby ex are downmixable & the rear surround is downmixed by the processor into the surround channels.

Ok so Boa, as I understand it, when you matrix out a 5.1 signal into a 6th channel, it will NOT affect the sound quality of the existing side surrounds?

In other words, as an example ( and a horrible one at that ), lets say that: Left Surround sound affects, a, b, c, d, e, f are coming out of the left surround under a 5.1 signal.

Now when I matrix it into a 6.1, your saying that: Left Surround sound affects, a, b, c, d, e, f will still be in the side surround?

I guess that I would have figured that some sound affects would have been taken completely out as in: Left Surround sound affects, a, b, c and the Rear Channel would have d, e, f

Well, that's good if it works that way. Means that I won't be missing side sound affects that I have become accustomed to. 1.gif

yes, when the dsp matrixes a rear surround channel its just duplicating the mono info from the surrounds. it doesn't taketh away, just duplicates that common info in both surround channels.

similar to when you do prologic decoding on 2.0 material & the dsp produces a mono front center channel from the L & R channel info. but for 5 channel suround it does so w/ the discrete RS & LS channels to the rear center "channel". of course in this case the front center

is discrete.