Optimal position for RP-240S in our room

mrreeftank

Hi Everyone,

I've just picked up my speaker set-up and being the OCD person I am, I'm struggling to decide on the best position for my surround speakers. 

A little background info. It's a dedicated home theatre room, planning for 5.1.2, room size is 3.5m x 4.0m and aiming to achieve the basic dolby atmos set-up. I will be using it 80-90% of the time for movies.Speaker set-up; 2x RP-260F, 1x RP-440C, 2x RP-240S and 2x CDT-3650-C II. (Sub woofer TBC)

My limitations are a listening position of 340 mm from the back wall when reclined (will be reclined for most movies) and 420 mm from the back wall when sitting up-right. According to all the documentation I have read, the surround speakers for a 5.1 system need to be between 90-110 degrees from the listening position and mounted on the side walls. 

Here are my questions;

1. For the bipole RP-240S', is the centre of the whole speaker considered the measurement point for the 90 degrees? Or does the front facing speaker need to be at or behind the listening position?

2. If I need to keep the front facing speaker behind my lowest listening position, I will only have a gap of about 80 mm between the rear wall and the speaker. Will this cause any issues with the sound coming off the back facing speaker? 

3. Am I better off mounting these speakers in the back corner of each wall? I know the side walls are recommended but based on the dimensions of the speaker this would be the most aesthetic position in the room (minus the need for a shelf).

Thanks in advance for any help. I've attached a screen grab of the rough room layout as well as a photo of the seating position (two centre recliners will be the optimal and most used).

26654006_10159758446140456_973865113_o.jpg

Room Layout.JPG

Edited by mrreeftank

• 4 weeks later...

i am happy to help w some suggestions but if u are ocd we have to start with placement

there are enormous issues with seating at the back wall.  placing the rps is the least of it

bass is very inconsistent in most rooms but almost always build near walls...terribly loud compared to the rest of the room

you need at least 2 subs for smooth response, i could see front left corner, moving the left channel to same distance from tv as right, and another potentially in the back right corner, calibrated so you wont know where either are located watching a movie...just a thought 

reflections from all speakers also bounce right behind your ears at a very close distance that smears the sound and reduces clarity

a commonly used ratio is for seating to be 1/3  from the front or back of the room

now thats just a benchmark.  could you:

1)  consider moving the seating forward say 3 feet?

2)  would you consider some sound panels back there?  that removes the reflection problems and if bass traps further reduces buildup

im not trying to make your room look different than you had planned.  i know enough about theater setup and am 95%movies/tv and know what that back wall, untreated, does to a theater

you already know the optimum placement for the surrounds.  youll need them placed at least a foot and preferably 2 feet over the seat backs because you dont want the seats or heads blocking sound to all the seats.  yes center of speaker is the point measure but is not important.  compromises are always in the mix but really the back wall is a huge negative for seating

a lot to consider but trust me its night and day