HornEd, I have Boa's thoughts, now I would like yours.

m00n

----------------

On 10/2/2002 6:55:53 PM boa12 wrote:

but after that HE said "Although frankly, it takes a main to match a main (or even come

close) when it comes to timbre. A center speaker such as an RC-7 has two woofers and one is

tapered off when sounds in the vocal range are played through it. Such tapered array is not likely

to be addressed when a center speaker is placed on the sides or rear of your theater."

but then again, you have an rc-7 for the rear surround now.

why don't you listen to it in steps before taking additional steps? this doesn't seem to conflict w/ your 1 or 0 analysis. to find out if 1 is better than 0, don't you need to 1st find out what 0 sounds like?
2.gif

----------------

LOL!!!! Ya damn it Boa you hit the nail right on the head! I am just too impatient. I have no idea why I am in such a hurry to get these two secondary sides other than I didn't like sitting behind the RS7's, which I don't unless I have guests, then I let them sit in the good spots and I take the rear...

Part of it too is that I want to have the maximus elitus theaterus4.gif. Well at least as sound goes. That will never happen if I don't put the correct speakers in place or if I even need them in the first place.

Well Boa... Like it or not, you made me look in the mirror and realize that I need to chill and need to plan this out better than just rushing into something.

At any rate I do think the RS7s are definitly out not enough gain for the money from what I could gather from Bobs post. As far as the RC7s go, wouldn't a lot of how they sound and operate come from the receiver?

I looked at the RB-5s. They made mention of using some technology that is in the RF3-IIs. Now, how would that sound with the R7s? Would that still be a better candidate over the RC7?

----------------

On 10/2/2002 7:28:16 PM boa12 wrote:

i'd stick w/ the rc-7 for rear surround as they are more like a rear center between the surrounds.

& you have the rs-7 now anyway. so listen, tweak, listen, take a deep breath, listen & go from there.
2.gif

----------------

Will you be my coach when my breating starts to turn into hyperventilation?

9.gif

Moon, you must remember that pleasing your ears is worth more than showing off ambient sound for company. Sorry my explanation was over the top... but in short, it seems that BobG and I are in agreement. Turning WDST speakers on their ends will make things worse not better. For the size room you have, WDST's on either side will handle the whole room with ease.

From the sound of your comments, putting in six speakers that match your mains is your best bet... with RC-7's for surrounds and rear effects being your second best bet. The difference is there is more depth-of-sound when all speakers match your mains... in my opinion.

Timbre matching is when the "voice of each speaker" is so closely matched that only the acoustics of a particular location makes any real difference in the sound. Thus, if a tank rumbles from your left rear up to the front and across the screen and back down the other side and across the back to its original position... the sound of the tank would be the same as it crossed from speaker to speaker. That's timbre matching. When you have some mains, some WDST and some lesser speaker in the rear, the sound will vary from each speaker. Center speakers like the RC-7 do a much better job than most, but you should hear a distinct difference (due to cabinet volume, location above the floor and porting if nothing else) as the sound action moves from one extreme across the screen to the other side.

When you have speakers closely matched in timbre and set up with a meter, you will suddenly find how much better your system sounds than most others you might listen to. Hang in there Moon, you're on the right track... especially since Boa got you to slow down and take in a little extra scenery by ear! -HornED

----------------

On 10/2/2002 8:32:55 PM HornEd wrote:

From the sound of your comments, putting in six speakers that match your mains is your best bet... with RC-7's for surrounds and rear effects being your second best bet. The difference is there is more depth-of-sound when all speakers match your mains... in my opinion.

----------------

Look at that! This almost sounds like a signature of approval for running 4 RC7s as my side surrounds. 11.gif2.gif

I say 4 because if I get 2 for an additional set, I will want to replace my exisiting 2 RS7s with RC7s for a total of 4 RC7 side surrounds. Which would be good because it would match with my existing RC7 rear.

Now that I think about it. I could get a second set of RF7s for the price of two sets of RC7s...

I guess my biggest issue with this would be the size... Ya can't very well mount those to a wall and I don't have the space to put them on the floor.

Back to turning speakers, would it affect the sound quality of the RF7s to lay them on thier sides mid way up the wall? Which brings up another point... I heard that you want to give these guys some room to breath and that you don't want them directly up against a wall....

Huh...