Overheating Sub Mod...

I26

I have had my Klipsch 4.2 Promedias for along-long time. Well I bought them right from Klipsch when they had that special deal running when they said 4.1s were sold out. Anyways I noticed from the get-go that the subs fire up tuff. I mean heat wise. I don't want this to lead to subs that die prematurely so I was thinking about adding a nice size heat sink to the back of each sub...think this would help any? Kinda like one you put on a computer cpu/video chip but bigger. I would think it would help dissipate the heat. Any thoughts are welcome...I don't know if it sounds stupid but its just a hunch.5.gif

• Like 1

I've been a tad concerned about heat issues myself. On the other side of the room from my 400 Watt Promedia 4.1, my roommate has a homebrew 5.1 system powered by a 320 Watt boombox. The 320 Watt boombox has a huge heat sink on the back of it.

This further gets confusing because the Logitech Z-560s have a huge heat sink on the back, but Cambridge's Megaworks 500 Watt system doesn't, and unlike the Klipsch, their sub isn't ported, so you can't use port air to cool the amp either.

All too confusing, but I blow an oscillating fan on the back plate of my Promedia 4.1 sub and it never even gets warm, much less hot. 1.gif I guess if your system is out of warranty and you know what you're doing, a heat sink certainly can't hurt.