Much appreciated Colin and Mobile Homeless -- Thanks!

Erik Mandaville

Thank you both for taking the time to supply such comprehensive and informative replies to my post regarding the La Scalas.

Yah, I understand well about the subjectivity of this audio adventure, and that it can be difficult at best when comparing different species of playback equipment. (I am the Erik you used to email by the way -- good to hear from you again, as well!)

I'm using Lowther PM2As in the Medallions. These were compared, I believe by Art Dudley to the Lamm horns in a an issue of Listener some time ago -- with the Lamm system being favored in the long run -- but again, at an expense, since they are a bit more expensive than the Medallion/Lowther combination. I have absolutely loved the Medallions, and, as a former musician (drums and percussion), have found them to be the best illusion of live music, especially acoustic, that I've heard. Lowthers have been astonishing in the reproduction of small ensemble jazz and classical material, but (to me) can't seem to handle complex symphonic and orchestral pieces the way multi-driver (with dedicated crossover networks)systems can. Colin also said something about hearing 'live' trombones, with which I whole-heartedly agree! Live acoustic music, especially drums (rimshots crash and china-type cymbals, etc.)can sound very 'in-one's-face,' which I happen to like. I've heard the likes of big Thiels, Martin-Logan and others, that don't seem to 'understand' that as well -- which again is simply a matter of MY taste and MY opinion -- and sure as heck doesn't make that observation correct.

As for amplification and other front end equipment, I again think Colin has made some good points. Mobile H. and I share the same amplifiers, which I have been enjoying (until recently, actually...). I have made numerous changes to it, including the use of very inexpensive mylar coupling capacitors which to my ears sound very, very good -- and only cost about $1.50. I've used Hovlands, Solen, etc. in the past, and was surprised about how lucid and articulate the mylar capacitors sounded (once they broke in a bit.) Lowering the 2A3 plate voltage and subsequently balancing out the rest of the voltages in the input and driver stages has enabled me to use some of the vintage 2A3s I've bought. In stock form, the Moondogs run the plates quite high -- too high for my taste.

Of the four different preamps I've built from schematics, my latest DIY is my own rendition and interpretation of the Bottlehead Foreplay. I built from the schematic on two piggy-back Hammond boxes, but drastically altered the power supply. Mine uses tube rectification (6X4), as well as a dedicated and separate DC filament supply. I keep switching between this one and another single sub-mini triode preamp circuit I built using an Eric Barbour schematic/design.

I sincerely appreciate some of the feedback and encouragment regarding the 45 modification of the Moondog. It was just a curiosity, and was hoping to get a little feedback on it. I didn't expect (and actually didn't deserve, I don't think) the sort of handslapping I got for even mentioning such a thing. I've done enough research since then to work out the circuit changes on my own, but for some reason haven't felt much like messing around with the Moondogs anymore. Man, I even had great compliments to those amps published! They're going to be part of my second, workroom system. I'm planning on designing and building my own 2A3 or 45 amp., and am saving for the parts right now. I also have changed the stock GZ-37 in the Moondog to a 5Y3, which can be done with very little work. Even that slightly more modest rectifier (the same one George Wright uses on his 2A3 amps)supplies completely adequate voltages. I sometimes think the big-bottle GZ-37s that came with the amps were used, well, just 'cuz they were big-bottle tubes and looked cool. Ok, I'm sorry -- I've got some sour grapes here, I guess.

So glad you're enjoying your Cornwalls...I remember when you were hesitant about that move! :)

Friendly Regards to you both -- thanks again for the helpful responses. I'm going to hear the La Scalas either tomorrow or next weekend, and will let you know.

Erik

I just left a whole other reply to your post and Colins about five minutes ago; I dont think you saw it. Still puzzled as to why you cant leave a response within the post. Did you read above about the registering properly and getting logged on? I had the same problem at first but it disappeared after logging on and off several times. Write the administrator on the matter.

Dont let the Moondog incident get you too discouragaed. If you remember long ago, I had some serious run-ins with Ron on all sorts of issues. I think he has some sort of severe chip on his shoulder regarding his amps and does very little to hide it at times. I really was perturbed at his over-the-top reply but while writing my post, I realized I was gettng to affected by the whole matter and bringing the past back up. Knowing how he responded to the emails we shared, I saw nothing good coming from it.

The cap comments are interesting. I cant remember if you ever tried any of the oil caps in the coupling region, either vintage or Jensen/Audionote. IF you havent, I urge you to at least do some experimenting here.

REgarding your GZ-37 rectifier comment, I will say that I have two pairs of these and the original pair that came with my amp still measure very good, this from 1997 and with me leaving the beasts on quite a bit. I was doubtful as you concerning the age (this was pre-tube tester) and bought a brand new pair of Mullard GZ-37 awhile back. I found they sounded pretty similar leading me to believe the originals were probably far from used. I also tried some GZ-34 and felt the GZ-37 imparted the more sublime midrange and delicacy. The GZ-34 seemed to make the amps sound more punchy perhaps, but not more musical; then again, these were Sovtek and not Mullard (although the Sovtek GZ-34 have gotten some good comments).

I cant remember one thing. Do your Moondogs have the Electra-Print or MagneQuest output transformers? I actually have talked to very few that have the original MagneQuest DS-025 (Thom Mackris comes to mind). All the guys in here that ended up trying Moondogs have the Electra-Print version.

Good to hear from you again, Erik! BTW, what is your musical taste and thte rest of your system these days?

ps- If really wanting to go Klipsch, I still think you should hold out for Klipschorns over the La Scala based on your comments and your current speakers. BTW, if you havent tried vinyl, this will be a MAJOR STEP FORWARD. As stated, Vinyl, tubes, and horns seem to be really magical.

On another note, that wasnt Colin talking about the trombones etc! That was a direct quote from ole J Gordon Holt, of ye olde Stereophile fame!