Klipsch Powergate - using with Alexa

dcassat

My Powergate works fine on my wireless network and it streams perfectly from a USB stick using DLNA from my wireless router.

However, although I have carefully followed the steps to get it to work with Amazon Alexa, using the Play-Fi skill, it creates a group and a device called ALL which I cannot direct Alexa to stream to.  I cannot change the device name.  I CAN change the group name but the next time I get into the app it has changed back to ALL.  

Have a missed a step?  Are there updated instructions on this process anywhere that may help?  Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks!

Dan

When I set up my Three, two devices showed up in Alexa, one named "all" and a second named with the device name I gave it (e.g. "living room").  I use the name I gave it; I've never been able to figure out what "all" does. I don't recall a group named "all" being set up, only a device.

Did you manually go into the Alexa mobile app (phone or tablet) or on alexa.amazon.com and add the device? The function to add/discover a new device is under the Devices tab in the Alexa app or under Smart Home on the Alexa website (alexa.amazon.com).

On the alexa.amazon.com website under Smart Home => Devices, my Klipsch Play-fi devices show up under the names I gave them, with "Play-Fi Device" underneath. "All" shows up with "Special Purpose Device" underneath.

I would make sure all the latest software updates are installed on your PowerGate and try that. Updating the firmware most likely requires an iOS device and the Klipsch Stream Update app (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/stream-utility/id1145942019), which is different than the Klipsch Stream app. The Android Klipsch Utility app seems to be broken.

When I ask Alexa to play music on my Play-fi devices, I say "Alexa, play [radio station name] on Living Room" where "Living Room" is the name I gave to The Three. My Klipsch Gate (which I set up more recently) is named "Dining Room" and works the same way. I did notice that if I go into the Play-fi app and start music in both rooms, it shows up as playing on "All" in the Alexa app. I haven't recently tried asking Alexa to "Alexa, play [radio station name] on All" but will try that later today and see.

Thank you Craig for your comprehensive answer.  It "feels" like I've done everything you've mentioned but I'm curious about the nuances of your first suggestion, to add the device under the devices tab.  My device name is currently the same as the group name, ALL.  But you've encouraged me with the fact it is working for you.  I need to mess around the devices settings to see why I'm not seeing the device name as it shows in the Klipsch app I think.  I feel that may be the missing piece!

Dan