Remotes and multiple receivers

martindemon

I already have a Denon 1802. I plan buying a Denon 1403 to hook up more speakers. I was wondering if the remote of the 1802 is different (signals) from the one of the 1403? If i up the volume of the 1802, will the volume of the 1403 go up as well? I hope not because i want to control these separately. Else i will have to buy a different brand! But i love the Denons...

Hmm, will the 1802 and the 1403 be connected? IOW, are you just interested in using one of them as an amplifier and the other one will do all the pre-amp functions? Or are they two separate systems?

I believe the remote will affect both units at the same time, since they are pretty close in vintage so probably share the same IR codes.

You might try searching at www.remotecentral.com for an answer, also. In addition, can you test it at your friendly neighborhood Denon dealer?

DD

The 2 systems will function at the same time. To have more power (i already have a pair of RB5 and some Polk (don't laugh) RT35... They are doing nothing now so i figured i would buy them an amp :) (i had them for my computer before (the polk first and then the Klipsch rb5...) and i did not need them anymore after i put the computer in the center of my home theater... Selling them is more or less appealing because i don't want to lose a lot of money because i just bought them (i know, too fast, and bad decisions...) But i love the sound of the RB5 and the polk are fine so why not double the fronts and rears? :)

Martin - Sorry I'm dense, but I'm not following what you are trying to accomplish. Do you want to add more speakers to your HT setup? If so, how many speakers in total are you looking to connect, and where? Or are you trying to create two separate systems that will be on at the same time (with speakers playing the same music, or different?)?

DD

yeah me too. sounds like you have 4 speakers. if so why not hook the rb to the denon's fronts speaker posts & the polk to its surrounds posts. then you set up your denon for those 4 speakers & use a mode that plays all 4 the way you like.

if your receiver needs more power for you then you need a power amp. most receivers like your denon don't have power inputs to run another receiver or preamp into anyway.

OK Here is what i have presently:

Denon 1802 with RF3 fronts, RC3, RS3 rears. In the past, i used the Polk on the B front channel of the Denon 1802 for my computer (the computer was not alligned with the home theater setup.) After i was not satisfied with the Polks, i bought the Klipsch RB5 and it was marvelous :) . After a few months, i put my computer in the center of my home theater (to use RF3, RC3 and RS3 with computer.) So the RB5 and the Polks RT35 became useless to me.

Now, What i want is something for less than 300$ to drive those speakers (Klipsch RB5 as fronts and Polks RT35 as rears.) I would use the digital output of the Denon 1802 in a digital input of the Denon 1403.

thanks for the info md. i'm not up on the computers. maybe somebody else here or in promedia can help. however, i always thought the digital out was more for a recording device like dat & not for playback. & i would think you would have that problem w/ the remotes.

if you really want to use all the speaks, i'd still just get a 5-channel power amp w/ comparable wattage or higher to your original denon, then you hook that to the receiver preouts, & run your best reference speaks off that amp. then you could hook up the other extra speaks (rb & polk) to the denon receiver speaker terminals.

beware though when you run speakers in dif locations w/ the same material you can get some destructive interference w/ the room interactions. iow, it may not sound as good. & the polks would be a timbre mismatch to your klipsch speaks.

For the interference thing, i know i will need to try things to find the best orientation and have a sweet spot in front of my computer. For the timber mismatch, perhaps this is something that could give me some timber control for the complete system? There would be lots of experiments i could do... I don't know, i could always just sell the RB5 and RT35...?

And just to tell things more clearly, i presently use the analog outs of a sound blaster Audigy (goes in the Denon 1802). But there is also a digital out on the sound card but when i use it on the denon coax digital in, i only get stereo front left/right or stereo rear left/right. Very strange. There are those expensive audigy platinum but i wonder if the optical out of those cards works in REAL digital 5.1? And what about the new Audigy 2 that is supposed to be 6.1? The bad thing about using the 5.1 analog inputs of the Denon 1802 is that ik cannot use stereo mode in some stereo games, so no subs if the developpers did not put a sub track!! :(