which subwoofer to buy ksw 15 or 12?

dave4242

I have a home theater system with in-wall speakers brand CSI, and a klipsch center channel speaker. The receiver is Yamaha KV-596 I am now looking for a subwoofer and have heard very good things about Klipsch. My room is about 22x24 feet and the ceiling is 19 feet high (the room tends to be very boomy/ echo-ie. Would it be better for me to get the KSW-15 or the KSW-12? It would be used for both music as well as HT. My main concern is the boominess, but I also don't want to buy a subwoofer that is too anemic for those HT movies! Is Klipsch the best brand for this room?

Dave,

I have a similar sized room as yourself >10,000 cu. ft. I was using an SW12II but wanted to get more low end extension than the SW12 could produce. I auditioned several subs, including KSW-15, (family member owns one), in my house. It was a nice sub, but it didn't give me the sound I was looking for. to make a long story short, I ulimately bought a pair of subwoofers from SV Subwoofers, 16-46's. I know there is a bit of a price difference between these and the KSW15, but the smaller SV's are at a similar price point but can extend lower with higher SPL's. You can search here or over at Home Theater Forum for reviews on these subs. If you don't want to buy online, also check out the Paradigm PW220 or something from the Velodyne line -they are also HIGHLY recommended. Have fun.

Dave,

I have a similar sized room as yourself >10,000 cu. ft. I was using an SW12II but wanted to get more low end extension than the SW12 could produce. I auditioned several subs, including KSW-15, (family member owns one), in my house. It was a nice sub, but it didn't give me the sound I was looking for. to make a long story short, I ulimately bought a pair of subwoofers from SV Subwoofers, 16-46's. I know there is a bit of a price difference between these and the KSW15, but the smaller SV's are at a similar price point but can extend lower with higher SPL's, with absolutley NO boominess (is that a word ?). You can search here or over at Home Theater Forum for reviews on these subs. If you don't want to buy online, also check out the Paradigm PW220 or something from the Velodyne line -they are also HIGHLY recommended. Have fun.