Ok...now RS-3 or RB-3 for surrounds?

Detroit Kid

I apologize if this topic has been done before or overworked, but currently, I'm not able to search for topics in the forum. Anyone else having this problem?

OK -- From the specs, it looks like the RS-3s and RB-3s are comparable. They also have a similar price (about $25 more for the RBs). Is there something in the design of the RS-3 (two horns?) that makes it a better speaker for surrounds?

If they're comparable in sound, I'll get the RS-3s 'cause they'll save me some space and I'll probably be able to get away with less-expensive stands.

Thanks - DK

This is more of your own personal instrest. From things I have read, you can either go for the RS-3s for a theather like sound or a RB-3 for a more music type system. Athought either way will do both ways each, one way is ment more way then another. I have the RS-3s and there awsome for either movies or music, but somehow I think my music would sound better with another pair of RF-3s but keep my RS-3s for movies. But anyway, see if you can try both ways in the store, or if the store your buying the stuff has like a 30 day trial thing so you can try either way to see what fits you.

I'll have to agree with cdsang here. This is definitly a more personal choice.

There has been holy wars fought on this forum over which would be better, using the monopole type speakers (the RB-3s) or the diffuse sound type speakers (the RS-3s) as the surrounds. It seems that the general trend is going to using the monopole speakers all the way around, preferably the same exact speaker (i.e., six RB-3s for all six channels, plus a subwoofer). Unfortunatly, this is not a perfect world and there is still alot of older material and formats around. I certainly cannot afford right now, let alone, fit, 6 RF-7s into my current room. I decided I liked the RS-7s better, plus the RS-<37>s is a good "go between" from a truly diffuse sound and a strict monopole, since it has a direct firing woofer in the center part of the speaker. Also, my reciever allows me to put two sets of surrounds on, thus I could use the RS-7s for movies and TV viewing and the monopoles (right now my old Infinity RS2000.5s that used to be my mains) for music.

To get to the point, what do you plan on using your system for? If for mainly watching movies and/or TV, then I'd go with the RS-3s. If mainly watching/listening to music (as with Concert DVDs, DVD-A and/or SACD (for regular CD - 2-channel stereo is still regarded the best way to listen)), then get the RB-3s. Hell, if your dealer will let you, take a set of both home and try them both out and see what you like the best, especially if your reciever or pre/pro has the facility to let you hook up two sets of surrounds and switch between them, as I can with mine.

Thanks for all the great input!

I plan on using it 50/50 - music/tv surround. I have a crappy Sony micro sattelite 5.1 spkr system right now and just can't stand it to listen to music to. So, I was thinking of getting the RF-3II as mains, the RC-3II for the center, something for the surrounds - either the RS-3s or RB-3s, and no subwoofer. I'm hearing that the RF-3IIs (set to large) will handle a good portion of the bass, so I won't really need a subwoofer.

I may upgrade and get a Pro Logic II receiver in a year or so. If I do that, how would the RS-3s handle music? So, will RB-3s be a better choice to handle my dual purpose needs? I'm also concerned about how much space I'll need for the RB-3s.

- DK

dk, as said you really need to demo either at your place w/ all dif material to hear which you like best. most good klipsch dealers should allow you to take a pair of each home to try.

& when you get any of these reference speaks don't be suprised if you hear more noise from your receiver & dif components. the klipsch are that much more revealing.

& since you're getting the rf-3, i'd keep that adjustable crossover in the processor that lets you drop it down to 40-60hz in mind when you get a good sub & new receiver or pre/pro down the road.