Best sub for under $400

Detroit Kid

dk, if i were you at your point, i'd call tom at svsubwoofers.com & find what you can do. maybe their smallest nonpowered cylinder w/ a lil 105-200W plate amp.

btw, i thought you weren't getting a sub yet. 6.gif you know after that your going to need a new receiver or seperates (w/ that flexible bass mgmt & power). 9.gif

in fact, i'd get a nice pre/pro w/ a seperate 6 or 7 channel power amp (used would cost less) & you could use that to also power a nonpowered sub or two (like svs cs series).

just some thoughts. 2.gif

boat12,

Thanks again for the much-needed feedback. Not getting a sub just yet. I'm buying in stages. Just bought the RC-3II yesterday. Love it!

in fact, i'd get a nice pre/pro w/ a seperate 6 or 7 channel power amp (used would cost less) & you could use that to also power a nonpowered sub or two (like svs cs series).

Why wouldn't I just get something like the Denon AVR-3803 (7.1 w/ crossover settings at 40/60/80...). Would I be svaing that much by getting a pre/pro and amp? I'm also leary about buying used stuff. Can you break the prices down for me? If I get the the AVR-3803 ($1200) and the SVS CS 20-39 ($780), I'd be looking at about a $2000 investment.

I have a Sony powered sub right now (305W?) that goes to 20Hz. I'm sure it doesn't compare with the $500 and up subs out there. Right? I heard a RSW-15 at the place I bought the center and felt the difference. I'd like to hear a side-by-side comparison to see how much diff there is.

I'll probably make my purchases in this order: center, mains, rears, receiver or pre/pro & amp, sub. Just putting my wishlist together. I'll be dreaming about a killer system and hopefully I can get there...someday.

----------------

On 10/27/2002 11:45:23 AM prodj101 wrote:

get the mains first, unless you awre planning on watching 100% movies until the everything else arives (thats basicaly all you could do with only a center channel.)

----------------

I'm integrating each purchase into my existing Sony system. I have the $$ for the center now, that's why I bought it first. Now come the mains in a couple of months.

After reading some comments on the forum, I may end up increasing my budget! 3.gif9.gif11.gif14.gif

I'm going to listen to the diff between the RF-3IIs and RB-5IIs. If I get the RB-5IIs, then I'll get a sub next (SVS PCi 20-39? 3.gif), then get the surrounds.

dk, that's just the route i'd take (& finally did take after 2 receivers).

but seperates are generally more expensive (especially new anyway). though you might want to check out those at www.outlawaudio.com for great values & affordibility from a direct seller (like is svs & hsu for subs).

but if you decide to go the denon 3803 route for your ears, space, budget, etc. needs, nothing wrong there either. looks like denon corrected the bass mgmt on the 3802 in favor of bigger speaks. the 3802 had ajustability but only at 80hz & higher - good for smaller speaks not bigger.