Comparing ProMedia v.2-400 to Monsoon MM-2000

jwatkin

I haven't heard the ProMedia v.2-400 or the Monsoon MM-2000. The Monsoon's use a planar technology for the satellites rather than cones.

Has anyone heard both and can compare?

http://www.monsoonpower.com/index_mmedia.htm

Monsoon MM-2000 is a five-piece

surround-sound system that couples PFT? Planar Focus Technology with the

awesome power of a 340-watt amplifier to

deliver amazing 3D audio at astonishing

output levels. Comes with one powered

subwoofer with two passive radiators, four

flat-panel satellite speakers with adjustable

stands, and one surround-sound control module.

Just U.S. $299.00. Optional floor stands

available separately for U.S. $99.00. Click "Get

Technical" for picture of stands.

MM-2000 System Specifications:

Satellites: 4 x 8 inch dipole-radiating

planar magnetic transducer*

Satellite enclosure: None

Amplifer power: 340 Watts total system

power: 4 x 60 Watts, satellite

transducers;* 100 Watts, subwoofer

Crossover: 24 dB/oct high-pass @ 200

Hz for satellites; 18 dB/oct low-pass @

200 Hz for subwoofer

Subwoofer drive unit: 6.5 inch cone,

magnetically shielded; Xmax = +/- 6mm

Passive radiator units: 2 x 6.5 inch cone

Subwoofer cabinet: 16-liter, tuned to 45

Hz; 10" H x 14" W x 12" D

Controls on subwoofer: Power on/off

Controls on surround-sound control

module: Master volume, bass volume,

fader control, headphone jack and mute

System frequency response: 35 Hz to

20kHz (in workstation environment)

Maximum SPL at .5 m: 108 dB using

EIA 426B noise

I'm probably one of the very few fortunate enough to experience both systems. both systems are orgasmically crisp. getting down to the nitty gritty I am unable to give you which is better but I'll tell you what I'v heard and you can go from there. I'll start with the pro media.

the klipsch pro medias are very very strong, a little larger than the monsoon system but still relativly small. size aside lets look at the satelites. the satelites on the klipsch are holding seperate woofer cone and high horn. this utilizes the seperation for less distortion from mids and highs. I'm plastered my 4.2 system with all types of music hoping it would crack and it keep it crisp and clear from the sats. this is one thing that the monsoon system does NOT have. the subs on the klipsch will give more of a kick with the side firing front porting design, this was found out while positioning my subs. you can also have alot more control of seperation from lows and highs. this can be a pro and a con. I'll explain why when I go over the monson speakers. the klipsch can get loud and still stay clear. I'm made my ears bleed before they distorted noticably. all in all a badass system.

The monsoon system is NOT to be taken lightly. they are smaller but still punch HARD, plus they look fu.. ermm cool. the satelites are a lil more stylish and for overall looks monsoon takes it. with the planer design you are NOT able to seperate the highs and lows. when you play with the equalizer in winamp you will not get the responce that you would with the klipsch system. the satelites do compensate for that and give, in my opinion, a better filling effect. they give a good strong over all harmony and sync just slightly better than the klipsch. the sub on the monsoon is just designed wierd. the way its ported and firing twards the front is sloppily done. you have a god sub always firing down, if thats not possible then it has to be ported front and firing to the side, as klipsch does. woking the sound with the monsoon seems to blend better, but then again it always blends. if you wanna rock the pictures off the wall with the subs and not make your ears bleed then this is not your system. it will go up high without distorting, but klipsch system will do this better. both are very very clear and presice, if space is a problem monsoon is the way to go. if you just want overall kickass and my sub is bigger than your sub compettions then klipsch is the way to go. I ended up with the klipsch 4.2 system and soon will have it gonig through a custom built preamp to hold the two seperate sets as well as a center chanel to make a 5.2 system, yes more than dolby smile.gif. like I said, if you are low on space then get monsoon, if you have the space and can get yer speakers setup in a good equal positioning then the surround performance will be better with the klipsch. it will also go higher and make your songs scream without the speakers screaming in pain.

I love both systems but heard the monsoons after I bought my 4.2 system. I think I said earlier, though this is far to long to go back up and read, that I won't give my opinion. forget that. get the klipsch 4.1 system and get the other preamp as well. go to radio shack and get the 49.95 speaker stands and make your cmoputer scream. I forgot the deciding factor between klipsch and altec lansing, THX which means it stays clear and strong and surroud sound at MAD high levels of output. so yes get the 4.1, preamp, and radio shack speaker stands and thank me later.

Torinalth

damn this is long aint it

both 4.1 and 4.2 systems are badass. I own the 4.2 I got the 4.2 because I like having the second sub behind me and ONLY react to the lows behind me. even more realistic. the 4.1, nor the monsoon can do that. as for power output, come on. if yer gonna squabble about 15 watts or so with a computer system yer insane. my 4.2s make my ears bleed. the subs hav literally rocked stuff of shelves in the downstairs rooms. so I would do the 4.2, but you asked about 4.1 vs monsoon. if you are going to use it with DVD movies, then I HIGHLY suggest the 4.2 with the sub or rear lows. if yer just gaming or just music that does NOT use global positioning (each satelite indapendent) then get the 4.1 they CAN go louder, but mine makes my ears literally bleed, so why get more? spend the extra cash and get the 4.2. when I get my extra hub an a center channel I'll have a klipsch THX 5.2 system, fully indapendant. hope I have helped. E-mail me a tzimisce@nc.rr.com if ya need anything else.

Torinalth