Bi wiring on the RP-3's

kalpauly

Hi -

I just got my RP3's of of uBid, and I love them. I haven't been able to figure out the how to hook up the biwiring, though.

Also, I have them flanking the entertainment center, with the subs facing out. Should i switch, so the subs face towards the entertainment center?

thanks,

kyle

kp, w/ my rp-5 i just hooked up the top speaker posts of the rp to the receiver's fronts posts w/ speaker wire; &, attached the "lfe in" of the rp to the receiver "sub out" using an rca plugged interconnect/cable. you can use a Y splitter/adapter from one sub out to both rp lfe in, or daisy-chain the connected rp "lfe out" to the other rp "lfe in"

leave the gold straps on the rp top & bottom speaker posts or replace w/ wire.

you can try different settings in the yammy such as fronts: large or small, & sub setting either to both or sw. but it shouldn't make much audible dif. i used fronts:large & the equivalent of both setting.

this way you are in effect biwiring. really more like biamping since you have an amp in each rp sub section.

hopefully i can avoid the speaker cable debate here...

i bought a pair of rp3s a while ago, and after trying to biwire them a few different ways (splitters etc) i broke down and bought some monstercable m1.4s biwire cable. this isn't the cheapest solution (about $50-$60 on ebay) but this cable is designed for biwiring, so it is definately the simplest. just hook the left/right inputs at the amp end of the speaker cable to the amp, and at the speaker end the cable splits into 4 ends, marked hi left, hi right, low left, low right. hook each of these ends up to the corresponding post on the rp3, and be sure to take off the gold straps.

i don't know what you're experience will be, but i'm under the impression biwiring results in an audible improvement in sound quality.

goodluck

if you also use the rca interconnects from the receiver sub out to the rp lfe in, you're in effect biwiring.

if you do that & also do what arena is doing, that's in effect tri-wiring. ok, if it yields any audible sound improvement. though imho, doing the step of using the sub out of the receiver has the greatest benefit in sound quality. 16.gif

oh & the subs should be facing out unless they're all the way up against the side wall, imo. mine sounded best that way w/ the rp about 6 ft from the side walls anyway. you can always try it both ways to see what sounds best to you. 2.gif

do not set up the speakers so that the subs face in. either the sound will reflect off your entertainment center or the sound waves from each sub will meet and amplify, resulting in boomy bass.

the rp3s are designed to be set up in such a way that they are an equal distance from each other and your listening position, and also 2 feet from forward from the wall to the rear, and at least 4 feet from each wall on either side (to prevent the sub from reflecting off the walls). i've found that changing the placement of the rp3s and toeing them in affects the sound quality significantly, as is true of most speakers with horn loaded drivers. using the above guidelines (which are also in the user manual that came with the rp3s), keep messing around with the placement until it sounds right.

i was going to ask about the tri wiring...that won't be too much for the subs to handle?

i think i'll try the RCA option first, since it's the cheaper route!

but i'm also interested in hearing the biwiring rig, too.

so to sum up, and at the risk of sounding like a virgin at this sort of stuff, i need:

1 Y splitter to connect to the receiver sub output

2 RCA cables to connect to the LFE in of each RP3.

i currently have the speakers facing out, but read contradicting reviews on the placement. i'm going to keep them this way. i also noticed that they have to be toed in, or it sounds funny.

thanks

kyle

kyle, instead of a Y adapter you can also just get 2 sub interconnect cables & run the 2nd one from the 1st rp lfe out to the lfe in of the other. aka daisy-chain the rp sub sections.

so if say you set your yammy to both, the sub will be getting all the lfe, & will also get the low bass up to 90hz before getting filtered out, via the sub out - lfe in connection.

now what goes through your speaker cables to the rp terminals & sub section will also be filtered by the rp crossover at 90hz. so what i'm saying is the rp is already getting that same material from your receiver sub out.

still you want to attach the bottom rp posts to the top posts that are connected to the receiver fronts speaker terminals, whether w/ the gold straps, wire, or at the receiver (biwiring the top & bottom & removing the straps), just to make sure the sub doesn't miss any info & because its summed & compatiable w/ the lfe in jacks that way (as it says in the manual).