FDA experience on KHorn Cornwall

Ugo Angel

Hello,

Due to children (2 youngs boys), I decided to downsize my system and search something easy to use for the family.

I indicate that I use a pair of:

- 1982 Klipschorn (AA)

- 1985 Cornwall II

Room is 5 x 10 m (sorry, I live in Europe).

To match with these constrains, I choosed a FDA amplifier (full digital amp) Marantz MCR611 (current model is 612), sold for 700 US$, 400 currently for last ones.

Few thinks to know:

- it's an "all in one" (CD, tuner, streamer...)

- do not switch it off (cold the result is not good, everything is simplified)

- setup the tonal corrections to Direct mode (corrections are disconnected)

The MCR611 is very easy to use. You connect it to the network (RJ45 or wifi), then it appears as an endpoint in Roon. There is also an analog input (vinyl preamplifier).

To complete, you can also send music through airplay (apple) or stream it (spotify).

For the price and in these conditions, the result is very very good and I can say that my downsize is not a sad story (I was using JBL K2 S9500 with a full halcro reference set up). I tested the KHorn with the Halcro set, it's better of course, but I can easily live with the Marantz. User experience + Sound represent a very good balance.

I am not the only klipsch heritage user that choose this FDA (compared to solid state and tube as bel canto 845). I think that this technology is a good match for these speakers.

Any other experience ?

Thanks

Ugo

P.S: Apologize my English, I don't practice so much.