connectivity of the pm4.1's

DrWho

I was thinking about building a 7.2 system out of two pm4.1's. I was wondering two things though. Does the 4.1 have a seperate imput for the sub and how does the pm connect to the sound card (two stereo miniplugs?)

You can get two refurbished 4.1's for $300 and a maya7.1 sound card for $70 which is like $400 for a 7.2 system. Or I could go out and buy a 5.1 system for $400 and have it break on me. I'd like to go with the 7.2, but I wasn't sure if it would be feasible with how it connects to the sound card. I'd even consider doing some minor rewiring, but that would just void the warranty and I'm not familiar with the durability of the 4.1 to just go out and void the warranty.

so basically, i need one of you pm4.1 owners to tell me how your 4.1 connects to the sound card. Thanks!

7.1, sorry my friend, not gonna happen. First off, there is no such thing hehe. 7.1 yes, but not really, they just matrix out a 2.1, 4.1 or 5.1 signal into a 6.1 or 7.1. Secondly, adding another sub does not make it .2, it is still .1 See, the .2 means TWO DISTINCT channels of LFE (low frequency effects).

What you could do, which may work better.

Go to Sam Goody. Get THREE 2.1's (more bass, better bass, louder bass) at $89 each, add a warranty to them for $10 more each. That still puts you below a new 4.1 or three refurbs. Now, say you don't have a Sam Goody near you. Or they don't have them at your local Sam Goody (non authorized dealer by the way, so the warranty is void, if you get theirs, then you use Sam Goody to get them fixed or exchanged if need be), then go to Amazon.com. I am told that they will beat or match Sam Goody on the 2.1 pricing.

The 4.1's connect via 2, mini stereo cables. Not TRULY 4.1 since there is no distict .1, however, the internal crossover, and that of just about any amp, overrides it anyways.

thx yo, there's a sam goody within 30 minutes of me 9.gif

btw, what's the connections on the 2.1? single stereo miniplug?

while we're at it...couldn't u theoretically combine two 5.1 systems to get a 10.1? the way i'm thinking is take a 5.1, and then add a speaker in between each speaker and give it a mixed signal using y-splitters. for example, for the speaker between the left and center channel, you could split the center and left channel into two signals, then combine those two signals into one signal that connects into that speaker in between? do this 5 times to add the extra 5 speakers. i know it's not true 10.1 but i was wondering if this is the same concept behind matrixing? or is there special stuff that a matrixed channel does? i know that if i had my sound board at home that i could easily accomplish a fake 10.1 system, but that's a bit out of the question considering the space issues 8.gif when i drew out the circuitry for a hardwired set-up, i couldn't help but to think of all the crosstalk issues and how the soundcard/amps would handle the weirdness.

i also thought about doing a fake parrallel set up where you connect the postive from the center channel to the positive of the middle speaker and then the same thing with the negative from the left speaker, but again something looked like it didn't work. and i don't got enough money to go spend a $1,000 to experiment 2.gif besides how would i know if the 5.1 decided to poop out on me, thus misleading me to believe my idea wouldn't work 2.gif

Ok. Your first suggestion is possible. The second... don't go there LoL! :)

I did the Y splitter and made a 10.2 (remember, really just a 5.1) and it sounded amazing. So much power that the subs (on either side of my 55" MITS HDTV) shook the CRTS! however, balancing issues insued etc etc, not worth the trouble getting everything balanced. Now. If you made a splitter and put in just a LITTLE power into to it to compensate for teh halving of the power for the speaker inputs (from soudn card to computer, you split the signal splitting the power more often than not) then you could maybe get away with a balanced setup.

but that is costly. i think if you don't think 3 2.1's is not loud enough... you will never be happy hehe.

BTW. yes the 2.1's use a single mini stereo cable.

BTW. do you have the maya 7.1? if no, get the GTXP only because i KNOW it will work with 3 2.1's. The maya should though... try it, if it does not work, return the Maya and get teh GTXP. Yeah, do that :)

wow, fast reply! you must live on the forums 3.gif

no, i currently have the audigy (let's not go there), but i was under the impression that the gtxp wasn't for sale anymore (i've been to the website and the link to buy it is gone). if i can buy it somewhere else, i would do it in an instant (well, depends on the price) 2.gif

haha, as far as volume a single 2.1 would be way too much for me. i've been a good boy and have been saving my ears. i find that 100db is my threshold of pain. so why do i need more speakers, you might ask? well, it gives me something to play with and there's nothing wrong with knowing that you have the power to blow you eardrums through your brain. it's the same thing with cars, overkill is just more fun 10.gif

i totally understand :)

teh gtxp is most definately still for sale, but at retailers not at their site. guilmont (sp) does not "like to sale" a bunch of items at a time on their site. that leaves so much for them to deal with. they would rather sell via stores where it is B2B, not B2C. 3.gif