Bass hookup for RP-5, KSW-10 w/ Denon 3300

sasq

I'm trying to figure out the best hookup for both movie and music bass response with my Denon AVR 3300 with the RP-5 and KSW-10.

(I had the 10 before I upgraded to reference). Currently, I'm running the left and right line outs to the RP-5's, and the sub-out to the LFE in on the KSW-10.

Any advice for otherwise?

I have 2 Denons,3801 and 2800 and have found this works best;Mains large,"Front & subwoofer"

I have found if you set "sub only",pro logic seems to suffer.

------------------

Main HT:'77 Klipschorns,'75 Heresy center,modified with,K-Horn sqauwker & AA network.

KSP-S6 at sides 2 KSP-S6's rear.

Denon AVR-3801

2 Denon POA-2800 200X2

1 driving the Horns

1 driving the bi-wired Heresy center.

2 DIY 12"4ohm subs,Carver A500x 400 watts per ch.feed.

1 12" powered sub(behind the couch)feed from the surrounds pre-outs.

Sony DVP-C650D.Dish Echostar 4700 w/DD

JVC S7600U S-VHS

Pioneer CDL-D501 laser

Music in "Direct"only!

DH Labs T-14 speaker wire to the front 3.

Bed room HT:KSB 2.1 mains,SC-1,SS-1's,2 SW 8 II subs.

2 Heresy's for music.

Denon AVR-2800,Dishnetwork,Sony SLV-975HF VCR.

sas, since the rp-5 already have 2 built-in subs, i'd try using the ksw on different channels -

like for the rears or the center.

are you connecting the rp's subs through the ksw? can't really tell.

------------------

Klipsch KLF-30 (front), KLF-C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster Z-12 cable

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

rock on!

Right now, the Sub is direct to the LFE sub out from my receiver, and the RP-5's are hooked up via the pre-outs as well as by speaker wire for the right and left channels. Would it be beneficial to run the sub out into the LFE IN of the RP-5's as well as the line IN?

for the rp, as long as the denon's main preouts are connected to the line inputs (not LFE) jacks & u have those gold jumper straps removed, i think that's the best way.

i originally had the rp-5 & connected their lfe in jacks to my receivers sub outs since i had no main preout jacks on my receiver. just wanted to make sure on that.

& u definitely want the fronts selected as large. &, like steve says, if u do hook up the ksw to the sub out jack, do front+sub.

i forgot the ksw-10 has no outputs like the 12 or 15 do. so my question's moot anyway. sorry biggrin.gif

but i still think the ksw could better serve u in your situation as a rear channels sub.

as for connecting that w/ no outputs on the ksw, don't know if that's possible. maybe steve or other denon receiver owners could help on that.

how does it sound now w/ all those together? w/ the ksw off? may be a case of if it aint broke... biggrin.gif

Sounds nice like this. Yeah, I've had "rear" sub recommended for some time, now, I could get that done by running the pre-outs of my rears to the sub, I would think.

Why remove the gold bars from the RP-5's? How is that set up with both speaker wire and pre-outs connected? any particular posts(top or bottom) needed to be connected?

Also, is it possible to hook up both the sub-out, and the pre-out fronts to both sets of inputs on the fives? Would it blend the LFE and the pre-out bass? How does that work. Sorry for the questions, the manual just is a bit lacking in most of this...

yea i believe steve up there uses the rear preouts for his rear subs. guess u could use both those & the speaker levels to the rear speakers. don't know though if the denon cuts off the rear speaker connections w/ the rear preouts hooked up(?)

do you have the rp hooked up only with speaker wire now? only remove the gold straps if you're using the main preouts to line in connection. then connect speaker wire from the front speaker terminals to only the high speaker level posts of the rp. i'd also connect the sub outs of the denon to the lfe in jacks of the rp. you can use the lfe out from one 1 rp to the lfe in of the other rp. i found doing this i got much tighter cleaner bass from the rp sub sections.

use good shieled short as possible interconnects. no matter what u hear, i don't think you need real expensive cables here. radio shack has a good Gold interconnect cable for less than $10.

then if u still decide to hook up the ksw up front, you should still have 1 empty sub out jack on the denon to spare.

oh & on your blending ?, actually the rp does have two controls on each. using the above set up I mentioned, the contour is the bass section volume control (output) & the line level is like the crossover control on your ksw.

------------------

Klipsch KLF-30 (front), KLF-C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster Z-12 cable

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

2nd room:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage '75)

Technics 5-disk cd changer

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None

rock on!