B&K receiver & M&k speakers

ZDoug

I have a friend who is really into HT.He won't wait to buy the Klipsch Ultra2 speakers due out in late Spring.He wants to buy the M&K S-150 THX Ultra speakers since they are similar to the ones used to mix Star Wars films??? He owns a B&k 307. The problem is I'm not sure about the match between those two pieces of gear. I know the M&K's are rated at 4 ohms.I can't find out their db sensitivity. I assume it's in the mid 80's but am not sure.Does anyone know? Klipsch would sure be easier to drive.what do you all think about the match between B&K and M&K? 1.gif

ZDoug,

M&K speakers are excellent, but not for everyone. You are correct on both the impedance and the low sensitivity. M&K is better for movies than music IMO due to the THX specs manufactured into them. Many low impedance, low sensitivity speaker owners are very unhappy with their decision. There is a fellow on the Sound and Vision forum that purchased B&W speakers with a Denon receiver. He can't wait to upgrade to separates to drive his low sensitivty B&Ws, but he has to wait for financial reasons. He says that he should have purchased the Klipsch package that he listened to.

THX was originally intended for movies, not music. The techniclal specs are quite detailed. Certification also adds to the cost. I prefer THX post procesing in my receiver, but I use Reference speakers happily. I prefer having high sensitivity, full range speakers. I recognize that a good argument can be made for small speakers with a subwoofer, but I prefer full range and a sub. I also prefer horns over dome tweeters.

Bill