RSW-15 connections to NAD preanplifier

lockedandloaded

Local dealer has an RSW-15 for sale. Question is if I can hook it up correctly to my preamplifier. I am using an NAD C-160 preamplifier. On the rear, it has 2 sets of RCA jacks. One set goes directly to the amplifier. The other set is currently unused and is listed in the owners manual as being used for Bi-Amping with another amplifier. Nothing is mentioned about hooking a subwoofer to it. It also has a bias dial to adjust both amplifier channels to be equal when using the bi-amping option. Will I be able to connect an RSW-15 subwoofer directly to this spare output?

Technically, you chould be able to connect the subwoofer with the RCA jacks for bi-amping on the back of your preamp. These jacks are ment to be used to connect an additional amplifier to biamp you speakers. One amp for the low frequencies, on amp for the high frequencies. As i said, you should be able to connect the Sub in this manner, but I dont think it will have a crossover. The entire frequncy range (20-20000hz) will be sent to the sub. The RCA jack on the back of the reciever is designed for the LFE channel of a receiver. The LFE channel is designed to only output Bass, henceforth i dont think the RCA inputs on the RSW-15 have crossovers. The other option is to use the speaker cable from your amplifier, connected to your subwooofer, and the speaker wire outputs on the subwoofer connected to your speakers. This option is generally less prefered to the first, assuming you can get it working. Good Luck!

Stephen, you are most probably correct that the entire freq from 20-20000 is being put through the Pre-Out #2 jacks. But doesnt the RSW-15 subwoofer have its own internal electronics to only "listen" to the sub-bass freqs? In other words, doesnt it only reproduce the sounds that it is meant to, and ignores the mid and high frequency signals?

I know that if you connected the sub through speaker wires, that the sub would crossover the signal itself. But as far as the RCA jack, i'm not sure if the same holds true. You could always buy an external crossover. This subwoofer would be a great addition to your system, even hooked up through speaker wires. If you can afford it, i would go for it. Once you get it home you can experiment with RCA, but if that doesnt work you can always use speaker cables and still have a great sounding system.

Guest klipschomatic

All RSW subwoofers have two RCA line level inputs with a defeatable low pass crossover. In your case you would need the low pass crossover on so you flick the crossover switch on and then adjust the crossover dial to the best frequency that blends in with your speakers. If your speakers are large then you should set your crossover lower. If they are small set it higher. The two line level outputs on the RSW series are unfiltered so they could not be used in between the preamp and your amplifier to filter out the low frequencies. But it is likely that your main speakers can't go as low as the RSW so their shouldn't be much redundant sound reproduction, especially it you set the crossover to a very low setting.1.gif

Guest klipschomatic

Upon inspection of the NAD C160, I saw that it indeed did not have any subwoofer outputs (strange), therefore out of all the other options I believe you choose the best hookups to use (preout2), it will serve almost the same purpose as a subout, particularly since it is adjustable. Unfortunately it doesn't filter it so you can get more out your mains, but since the RSW has a low-pass crossover as I described above, all is not lost.