Making a Passive Switch...

thebigdog

This is my personal audio setup;

Acoustic Edge 5.1

Klipsch Promedia 5.1

Klipsch DD-5.1 Preamp / Decoder

The way I have it setup right now is that I am using a Y-splitter to split the input of the PM5.1 so that I can connect both AE5.1 and DD5.1 to it. Reason I do it this way is that I want to play 5.1 mp3 using my AE5.1 and I also want to be able to use my DD5.1 to decode DVD and to watch DolbyDigital movie on my Tivo.

http://images.auctionworks.com/hi/45/44875/3.5mmmff.jpg

The above is a link to the picture of the Y splitter. The problem w/ the Y splitter is that when I listen to my DD5.1, the volume is cut down because the voltage is split between the PM5.1 and the AE5.1. It is ok if when I listen to my AE5.1 because I can just shut off the DD5.1 and it will appear as OPEN (high impedance). Since there is no way to shut off AE5.1 other than shutting down my computer, I have decided to make a switch.

Here is the general plan.

DD-5.1<===PM5.1===>FL, FR ----> Switch 1----->AE5.1

DD-5.1<===PM5.1===>SL, SR ----> Switch 2----->AE5.1

DD-5.1<===PM5.1-===>S,C -------> Switch 3----->AE5.1

The idea is to switch on and off of the AE5.1's output to the PM5.1. When the switches are OFF, the line will see an OPEN, thus elinating a path for the voltage to split up. (of course when they are all ON, I will shut off my DD-5.1 to listen to my AE5.1 only)

The main component involved is very simple...

1. TWO of these

009%5F003&product%5Fid=274%2D246" target=_blank>3.5 mm 3 Conductor Female Jack

2. One

003%5F000&product%5Fid=275%2D612" target=_blank>SPST mini switch

The plan is to connect the L and R of item 1 to the L and R of item 1 (since there are two of them) and then use the switch to switch on and off of the GND connection.

Do you guys think this is gonna work? Will this pose any signal degradation / spike problems? Feel free to advice.