Pioneer 47/49tx power/hookup

ZDoug

I know some of you have the Pioneer 47 or 49tx.Mr.Mcgoo(Bill)or someone else who is familiar with these receivers should be able to answer my question,I hope. I am sticking with my Klipsch for music but after extensive listening I am going with POWERED speakers for my front 3.They can't be beaten for dynamic punch and accuracy demanded by action DVD's of the last 7 years(But that's another topic).The people @ Pioneer have been less than helpful with my questions. I think it's because of a lack of technical knowledge.

I can't find a picture of the back panel of the 47tx but I have been told that it has unbalanced RCA outputs that could be used to connect to the single RCA input on the 3 front powered speakers. SO.....the 3 powered fronts could be plugged into center and rt/lft outputs in the 7.1 array to get the correct preamp/processor info to the correct speakers? Is that true? I know most people aren't familar with this hookup method but there are some very technically savy people on this forum so that's why I am asking here.

My other question is powering the 4 side/rear 4 Ohm speakers with speaker wire going to the proper outputs on the Pioneer. I know Pioneer does not recommend this with all 7 speakers being 4 Ohm,But I'm thinking that the 47tx should be able to drive four 4 OHm rears set to SMALL even at reference levels since No power will be required for the fronts. Does anyone agree or disagree?

The reason I would go with 47tx is that I can get it on the internet for about $1750. That allows me to save alot of money Vs buying separates or the B&k507.If the 47 has 7.1 outputs and if it can drive four 4 Ohm surround speakers then why should I overspend. 1.gif O.K it's like buying a diet coke with a cheese burger and fries but I can't see why it wouldn't work with no noticeable difference in sound quality.. I hope someone can help with this question.

I realize after typing this question it probably should have been posted in the tech. forum but you guys are just as smart.1.gif Doug

ZDoug,

The 47 and 49TX have pre outs for 7.1 channels. If you use the main pre outs, it requires that you pull out the U pin that completes the circuit to the right and left front amps.

Pioneer recommends speakers from 6 to 16 Ohms. Some individuals with 4 Ohm speakers have experienced shut downs. The acoustic calibration system can add several decibels right where the impedance on your speakers is at the lowest point. Hence, low impedance speakers are not a good match with the Pioneers. Some people report no problems. Others report shut downs.

You may have better luck since only your surrounds will be powered by the receiver. The uhigher the crossover, the easier it will be for the amp to drive the surrounds. Probably 80 or 100 Hz would be best.

Bill