Forte I - different crossovers in each speaker

jajaja

53 minutes ago, PrishPreen said:

Here's one of my 1985 Forte crossovers. I haven't seen any pictures of this round design, built right on the plate. Early version?

I'm about to swap to Dayton caps. If it doesn't look to embarrassing, I'll post an 'after' pic...

crossover1.jpg

When I did mine I just replaced the  big electrolytic cans, those are easy to do. The ceramic ones I left alone. I figured those hardly ever go bad and the PITA factor was enough to discourage me.

Well first one finished. Not the surgical precision of the experts, but it'll do. I just snipped the leads of the old caps and soldered the new ones to them instead of completely removing and replacing. Left the ceramic resistor in for now. I think I hear more upper treble now, but it didn't make a big difference overall. Guess the original caps were OK on that one. The other speaker sounds about the same so I'm going to leave it alone for comparison.. I have a poorly shaped room for listening, so more playing with placement is in order. Overall these are the finest sounding speakers I've ever owned!

xover1doneB.jpg

• Like 1

As a quick follow up, and thanks for letting me jump on and steer this thread around a bit, I busted out the mono LPs and did some comparisons. That's where the differences appeared. The recapped speaker has a solid presence through all 3 drivers, with a noticeable boost to the squawker. The old speaker sounded grainy and 'RIAA curvy'- treble and bass but low mids. Decided to replace the caps in it and the Fortes have never sounded better (though I've only had them for a month)  

Edited by PrishPreen