What Klipsch Speakers with Sony DA3ES?

omny

I have decided to upgrade ALL of my speakers to Klipsch, but I am not sure what combination to use with my reciever. I have a Sony DA3ES reciver(http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/consumer/ss5/home/homeaudioes/esreceivers/str-da3es.shtml) to power everything, but want some "expert" feed back. I realize that I want the Reference series but what will sound best with my reciever.

Floor Speakers - RF7

Center Channel - RC-7 (do I get one or two?)

Surrond Speakers - RS-7 (do I want 2 or four?)

Sub - RSW-15 (only one?)

I currently have the Polk RM-7500 series as my speakers, but seem to be missing that "edge". Budget is no problem so please tell me what you would recommend if you had the mentioned reciever, a Sony NS500-v DVD player, a Sony SLV-N55 VCR, on a Sony 65WV-700 HD TV with DSS & an HD Cable Converter running through it.

Thank You in Advance for your help!

Omny

Omni,

First, let me just give you a cyber "hi-five", from one Sony fan to another.

OK. Now to the matter at hand. (I just love system-building with someone elses money!) In a cost-no-sweat Reference Series rig, I'd go with a pair of RF-7's, a single RC-7 center, and depending on whether your DA3 is a 6 or 7 channel receiver, either three or four RS-7 surrounds. Season to taste with RSW-15 subs. I think one would be quite sufficient in all but the largest or most bass-sucking rooms. I know you mentioned RF-7s for the back, too, but (this is just my personal feeling) I feel the RS's would do a much better job of providing a diffuse surround-field. I know many current DVD-A titles are being mixed with instrumentation placed hard in the surround channels, which would seem to dictate identical speakers all the way around, BUT, I really think this is just a passing phase of experimental multi-channel mixing. After the "gee-whiz" has worn off, I strongly believe that the back channels will tend to be used more discreetly. Mostly to convey the ambience of the recorded (or desired) acoustic. And not as an extension of the soundstage. Of course, Dougy's been wrong before.8.gif

8.gif

My Sony 3ES has the following:

Dolby® Digital/dts®/Dolby Prologic® Decoding

32 Bit + Dual 32 Bit Digital Signal Processing

6.1 Channel Decoding with Virtual Matrix 6.1 Mode

Digital Cinema SoundTM - Cinema Studio EX A/B/C Modes

7.1 Analog input/ Output

5.1 Analog Input for SACD and other formats

If I am understanding this correct I should use:

Center Channel - RC-7

Floor Speakers - RF-7 (2 for Fronts)

Surround Speakers - RS-7 (2 for Rear Surround & 1 for Back Surrond)

Sub - RSW-15 (1 should do, but is 2 going to sound bad?)

Is it better to use the RS-7 as a back surround or a RC-7? Does it pay to get 4 RS-7s and if so where do they usually get placed?

Can any of these speakers by wall mounted or "corner mounted"?

Omny

Hi Again,

Gee, no ones jumped in here to say how Sony sucks turtle eggs, and that Denon is the only way to go. (give'm time)2.gif See, us Sony ES fans are like the Rodney Dangerfields of this forum; we get no respect!8.gif

Hey Omni, if you want two RSW-15's, by all means go for it. Two subs can often produce smoother bass by being located in different spots, thereby exciting different room resonant frequencies. But for the MOST bass, putting two in the same corner usually works the best.

I'd definitely do RS-7's all the way around in the back. The RC-7 will not produce the sonically diffuse effect that the RS's will. This problem would be especially noticable if you sit very close to the back wall. With RS's all around in the rear, the sound should just envelope you. The speaker's location should be only vaguely discernable. In a six speaker set-up, (quasi)bi-polar surrounds like the klipsch RS's should typically be place flanking the primary listening area, and slightly above ear height for a seated listener. The back surround would ideally be directly behind the listener, and at the same height as the other two surrounds. Four surrounds would be even better than three, if you can drive that many. Just place the two back surrounds behind, and flanking the listening position. I don't believe the RS-7's have much built-in provision for wall mounting, but I'm not sure on this. My preference would be to mount them on tall stands; maybe about 48". But if you are not the type to be apt to want to change your set-up all around every little bit, then wall mounting might be a better way to go. Corner placement for the RS-7 MIGHT work well for you. I would not be afraid to try it. It might even sound better that way. The bass, at least, should be stouter.