Question about The Fives Powered Speaker Pair And The Sub Out Jack

buckaroo

I recently acquired The Fives powered speakers. I have updated the software to the latest v 5.8.0 released on 06.11.2021. This allows the so called "3 blink" bass cut. In experimenting with the bass cut options, and the positioning of the speaker's rear ports in relation to the back wall, I recognize that another way to reduce bass is to plug one end of an RCA cable into the sub out port on the back of The Fives primary speaker. The other end of the RCA cable is not connected to anything...just dangles in the air. It sounds as though the bass output is reduced further, thus further enhancing the clarity / imaging of the powered speaker pair.

Here are my questions:

Is there any reason, electronically, that this should not be done? In other words, does it create any impedance, heat build up or strain to just insert the cable into the sub out jack and not have the other end plugged in to a sub or a dummy load? I like the sound this way, but I do not want to damage The Fives by running them this way.

My sense is that because the sub out jack is intended to be used with a powered sub woofer, it should be safe using it the way I described. I suspect plugging the RCA into this sub out jack reduces bass by deploying a crossover...intended for the powered sub. So I am really using it as a trick (by not connecting a real powered sub to the other end of the RCA cable) to further adjust the EQ of the powered stereo pair. Will this harm the powered speaker pair?

Edited by buckaroo
clarity