Favorite LIVE albums

kjohnsonhp

In general I like studio albums better than live albums but there are exceptions and perhaps that's mostly due to my introduction to "arena rock" starting at the same time as some popular double live lps. I'm having a hard time thinking of more recent live lps that I like better than or at least equal to the lps.

So here's some top live lps off the top of my mind (you can see I really started liking arena rock around 1976:

Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes Alive (I still like this lp)

WHO - Live at Leads -extended remaster

KISS - Alive

RUSH - All the World's a Stage (my first exposure to RUSH which I still like).

Allman Brothers - Filmore East (regarded as the best, but a little too much jamming at times for me...although still a favorite)

CHEAP TRICK - Live at Budakon

BAND - Rock of Ages

I guess from my favorite 80's bands I'll sneak :

HUSKER DU - Zen Arcade--not really live but a quick live in studio recording.

MINUTEMEN - live in some radio station doing "Ain't Talking 'Bout Love" and "Green River"

NIRVANA - MTV (doing the Meat Puppets somes)

BEAT FARMERS - Loud and Plowed

The Little Feat "Waiting for Columbus" is a good addition to the list...a well respected live lp.

I have a double CD LIVE AC/DC set which is fun but I find myself liking the studio versions of their top songs better. I haven't heard some of the live Bon Scott stuff on the box set. I think AC/DC could use a "best of" box set. I have the five or so CDs but my son seems to have taken them over. Pretty timeless.

I want to add "Double Live Gonzo" and Roger WAters - THE WALL live in BERLIN--especially the songs with the BAND.

I need to think about more modern stuff. The NIRVANA MTV Live in NY keeps coming to mind but beyond that and the few in my first post I'm stumpted for now.

For me Nirvana was the end...for most they were the beginning.

80's post punk culuminates and ends with Nirvana which begins the 90's grunge and the commercialization of a rougher and historically underground sound.

I would agree that Nirvana is primarily throught of as 90's band ('89-'94 were the core releases with '91 being the bomb shell). I was primarily segmenting from 70's classic rock.