receiver to power amp

boa12

any way to hook up a power amp like that section of my ole kenwood kr-9600 to a sony a/v receiver(str-de935) which has no main preouts?

thanks.

------------------

Klipsch KLF-30 (front), KLF-C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster S-12 cable

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

2nd room:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage '75)

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd player

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

yea md, basically. the goal is to somehow use my kenwood's nice clean high current power amps to better drive my 2 klf-30 front L&R. the sony has no main preouts, but it does have 2 sets of record outs - one for tape & 1 for md.

The tape outs come BEFORE the volume control on your STR-DE935. If you take the signal from the Sony's tape out to some input on the Kenwood, you'd have to use the volume control on the Kenwood to control the level of the KLF-30s. That means every time you adjust the volume on the Sony, you'd have to adjust the volume on the Kenwood, and you'd be forever fiddling with things to try to get the main / surround volumes balanced. Only way I could see this working would be to use an external volume control of some sort in FRONT of the input to the Sony, then set the Sony and Kenwood volumes relative to each other where you want them, and use that other, external volume control to control the sound level of the system. Which seems like a real kludge.

Another possibility might be to take the SPEAKER level outputs from the Sony, pad them down (pad them down, waaaay down... sorry, cheerleader daughter), put an RCA connector on the end, and take that into the Kenwood, but that sounds, er, dangerous and kludgier.

Ray

Car installation shops sell a $15 device to pad down output in the way Ray described above. That KR-9600 is a beast. Sold a bunch of them in the days when companys were fighting to see who could build the biggest receiver. The Kenwood while good, was not equal to the Sansui 3030 which actually had two chassis connected by a fat umbilical. Remember a few others.

The concept of using the Kenwood amp stage works best with a pre out from the Sony (or padded spkr outs) and going to Tape In on the Kenwood to avoid running through two sets of preamp circuitry. May have some trouble with proper impedances though. If the input impedance of the Kenwood is not at least 10 times as high as the output impedance of the Sony, (or the pad) then the circuit may get loaded down and cause voltage sag. You know how embarassing That can be.

thanks guys for informing me before I got the hernia lugging that kenwood over to the sony biggrin.gif. sounds like 2 much touble for me. have to just get the new amplitude. the klf actually sound pretty good w/ the sony - know it could be much better though.

btw, the ken does have power in jacks next to it's preouts. dual power supply, 160WX2.

------------------

Klipsch KLF-30 (front), KLF-C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster S-12 cable

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

2nd room:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage '75)

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd player

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!