Klipsch Ultra 2 speaker availabilty and specs

ZDoug

I noticed that the new Klipsch THX speakers are advertised in the Jan03 Sound and Vision.I can't find any reference to them on this website. Are they available for sale now? Does anyone know if the sensitivity will be as high as other Klipsch speakers.Aren't Klipsch speakers usually rated in the high 90's.Also will this be an 8 Ohm speaker? I ask because a lot of Thx certified speakers are 4 or 6 Ohms and have a sensitivity of around 90...... These are not typical Klipsch specs.

I have a Pioneer 47tx and know that many have had problems trying to drive 7 four Ohm speakers at-10dB.The receiver, as great as it is, clips or shuts down.The Pioneer manual recommends powering only 6-16 Ohm speakers. I am hoping the new Ultra 2's are 8 Ohm and rated in the high 90's and thus easy to drive....a hallmark of Klipsch.

Also the photo in the mag makes the front 3 speakers look like each one has 3 vertically aligned dome tweeters in the rear of the large single 6x10" horn.This would be consistent with the THX theory of vertical dispersion of highs and the horn would seem to disperse the highs wider(horizontally).

Klipsch has gone away from the WDST design for the surrounds.The ad doesn't say whether they are dipole or bipole. I assume dipole since that is what Thx requires.

Has anyone heard any Buzz about how this system sounds? I am looking at it for HT only. And yes I have bought,hook line and sinker, into the THX philosophy for HT ONLY. It took a lot of reading to convince me.

The problem is I want dynamic speakers that can easily be driven by my 47tx.Most Thx speakers do not meet this requirement.I am hoping Klipsch has stuck with their philosophy of making dynamic sounding easy to drive speakers.I would not purchase the Sub. I have an Svs Ultra sub and don't believe Klipsch can beat them in that department.Any comments? Any idea of the cost of 3 front and four surounds. The price with 2 subs and an external amp is 8K. Thank you Doug

Doug,

I think there should be no problems for the mighty TX47 with the new Klipsch THX speakers.Klipsch hallmark is easy to drive and requiring few watts to shine.The TX47 has plenty of high quality wattage.The amp looks like its the same you get on the TX49.Strange should be capable of driving 4 Ohms up to rated RMS specs with no trouble.

I have to borrow a TX49 again and stress test it with Dynaudio(4 Ohms)speakers to see if what some claim is true.If this was true its not good,the Denon 5800 was capable of driving all 4 Ohms speakers at very high SPL with no trouble at all(ever).

Ear: Thanks for your response. If you do that test with the Pioneer 49 or 47 let us know the results. The receiver should be asked to drive 7 four ohm speakers in a LOTR type movie at -5 to -10 dB. I know Thx Ultra 2 certified receivers should be able to perform that task but I have heard of several reports where the 47/49 clipped or shut down under those conditions.

Also as I noted Pioneer only recommends using 6-16 Ohm speakers. Mr Mc goo was the first to alert me to this situation and when I read the manual there it was!! I hope Klipsch sticks with 95+ sensitivity in this new line.Maybe something about Thx certification prevents it? 1.gif