Denon Speaker setting question

Underhanded Penguin

Hey guys. Just wondering. I've had a denon 1802 for about 1.5 yrs now. I have them hooked up to rf-3ii's and switching between small and large setting makes no difference at all in sound. What's up with this? At first I thought it was because the rf3ii's couldn't play low enough to notice a difference. But that's insane. the crossover is fixed at 80hz on the receiver so as long as it's set to large, my rf3's should be able to play below 80hz quite well. Such is not the case however: I have to turn tone defeat off and bass boost +10db in order to get near the bass I'm used to hearing without a subwoofer on my rf3ii's. Anyone else have this problem?

Is it because when I have no sub connected, the receiver automatically makes the mains large? This would seem to make sense.

Help is much appreciated.

-UP

I may not be much help here, but with a Denon 3802 and Heresy there was a definite difference between large and small at 80hz level. Before getting a new sub, my best sound was on large and there was clearly something happening. Now remember as the frequencies drop, so does direction (it is hard for us to know where the sound is coming from). On small and subless, there was something missing. I believe your RF-3s should actually go lower than my Heresy, so you should be able to notice. There is a setting in the 3802 that lets you tell the system if there is a sub or not as well as a setting that determines when LFE output below 80hz is sent to the main speakers (even when set to large). Since this only applies to LFE I have to ask if your sound issue is for HT only or with music as well.

Hope some of this ramble applies.

Watkins. Thanks for the reply. Yes it happens in both music and HT. No difference at all even when playing a lot of bass music. The difference between small and large setting should be pretty dramatic, but I can't even notice it at all. Something is wrong here. I'll check my connections tonight to se if anything is willy nilly. As it is, I have them biwired. That shouldn't make any difference though.

Thanks.

-UP