Has anyone tried bi/tri-amping heritage?

dbrower

There's piles of comments about diddling with the passive xovers in the heritage series. I can't help but wonder if a better answer wouldn't be to just disconnect 'em all and go right to multi-amping things. When I was doing pro-audio, this was a given for most applications, so I've never quite gotten why it hasn't flown here.

My current setup has a pair of cornwall fronts, a pair of heresy surrounds, and a 15" reflex subwoofer of my own driven by a DC300

connected to through a 3 channel/2way + subout film theater electronic crossover. You would think another crown for the low end + a tube amp for the horns would be sweet.

curiously,

-dB

The general consensus on this one is that it does not work. The logic seems good, but people who have tried find the sound to be less "of a piece" and the results not satisfying; especially at the expense and degree of difficulty. Never seen a post which suggested multi-amping Heritage was the way to go. Let us know if you try it.

I was interested in bi- amping a set of LaScala's I own in the mid eighties and Klipsch sent me out information on this topic- recommending against it. It was a while back and can't recall the reasons, I never did it and always wondered the same thing- tubes for the mid/ highs and a quality solid state for the low frequency drivers.

I've long been intrigued by the possibilities that do open up with tri-amping a pair of horns. Particularly, if we are doing this in the digital domain, the opportunity to time align the outputs of the various horns. And due to the generous enclosure sizes we're dealing with, a powered, eq'd, electronically crossed over heritage system would be possible. I know, this is just late night, wild eyed audio fantasizing, but what the heck, I'm a late night wild eyed audiofool.