Reference Dolby Atmos 5.1.4 - (1) Sequencing of upgrades for speakers, and (2) and best quality and value receiver for the system

FR64

I recently bought new Reference 5.1.4 at clearance price ($400) since its older version now wanted to ask current owners what if any speakers they recommended and why/when to change out systematically to get the best sound out of this entry level cinema sound system.  From articles that I have read or opinions on YouTube it seems like the the sub-woofer is criticized and the lower range on the satellite speakers.

For the receiver I wondered if anyone had paired with Yamaha RX-V379 AV ($300) or if there are others around this price point that makes sense?

Thank very much for any assistance!  (New to audio so I apologize for these questions and appreciate your latitude).

Flint

This is a good thread with some answers: https://www.avsforum.com/threads/costco-exclusive-klipsch-reference-cinema-system-with-dolby-atmos-5-1-4.3219069/

What to upgrade really depends on a lot of things.   For most they go with better subs, those that can hit below 20Hz...but if you live in an apartment that could be an issue.   Then they will upgrade mains/center, but if you don't have the room then that's an impossible upgrade.   For $400 that is a steal though.  I just snagged a Cinema 800 for $399 and this system will smoke that, sure you need a receiver but that is low-hanging fruit.

I always check accessories4less.com for receivers.   They are one of the best bang for bucks and you get a warranty (unlike ebay).  You can pick up a RX-V385 there for only $199.  For a $300 budget you can get either the RX-V585 or RX-V680.  I used to run Yamaha, but now I run Denon.  If you can push the budget $99 you can get into a RX-V685 which brings more especially better YPAO RSC and another $100 can get you into a RX-A2A which offers more including HDR10+ as well as part of their premium lineup so all the electronics inside will be better. 

They have your reference system for $100 more than you paid though, like I said that was a really good purchase if those fill your needs and if you just wanted something to start out with will sound great as you upgrade and in the end you are not out a lot of money.

• 2 weeks later...

thank you very much for the robust answer with specifics.  this will prove very helpful in the months ahead.  any recommends on the sub front?  I read a few reviews and the Polk Audio PSW111 8" seems to be rated good.  Thanks again!