10 Recommended DELTA BLUES Albums

kjohnsonhp

As a person who has grown up on rock (and some exposure to Classical, Opera and Country) it seems that Blues and Jazz might be a new fertile ground for exploration. I've found that starting with the most accessible records is the easiest...kinda like sampling rock by starting with the Beatles.

My question is where to start? Blues or focus more on Jazz? I was thinking Blues first...the stuff that seems to have been a big influence on rock. Do you sample different styles? Start somewhat chronilogically like I did with Classical exploring each style bofore evolving to another?

I was thinking of starting with the rough pre-war Delta Blues and then sampling more modern Delta Blues before branching off to other styles that splintered from Delta Blues....obviously there will need to be some reading to map this all out since it's not the kind of music I've absorbed through "Bugs Bunny" like I did classical and opera :)

So where do you recommend one start?

Are the following albums good recommendations? I think I should stay with pretty accessible songs. Mozart before Schoenberg is the example I have from classical.

10 Recommended Albums:

I assume this is mostly a CD adventure if I'm wanting the most economical and easy to find path.

Various Artists, Blues Masters Vol. 8: Mississippi Delta Blues (Rhino)

Robert Johnson, The Complete Recordings (CBS)

Skip James, The Complete Early Recordings (Yazoo)

Various Artists, Roots of Robert Johnson (Yazoo)

Charley Patton, Founder of the Delta Blues (Yazoo)

Tommy Johnson, Complete Recorded Works (Document)

Bukka White, The Complete Bukka White (Columbia)

Muddy Waters, The Complete Plantation Recordings (MCA)

Son House, ^Delta Blues: The Original Library of Congress essions from Field Recordings 1941-42 (Biograph)

Mississippi Fred McDowell, Mississippi Delta Blues (Arhoolie)

Absolutely! But this is where analytical segmentation starts to get gray. Elmore James is placed in the Electric Chicago Blues segment which would be an outgrowth of the earlier Delta Blues I listed above. It seems to be electified Delta Blues in a band grouping and probably a sweet spot for rock and roll fans exploring rock roots.

It seems Elmore James was the main man for slide guitar. Thanks for the recommendation.

After Delta Blues I was goig to venture into the following list of Chicago Blues (you can see that after several strains of Blues and each with a recommended list, one will have been exposed to a list of well ove 100 "recommended lps". It's a bit much to try to consume compared to R&R which I experienced over decades.

Delta Blues seemed like the place to start because of it's influence on later styles like Chicago Blues. I thought I'd experience Robert Johnson first which makes a great evolution to Elmore James who seems to be an electrified follower of Robert Johnson. Now the Chicago Blue may be a better place to start based on a closer sound to rock & roll. I could then trace back to the roots just and I've started w/blues rockers and now am exploring their influences. With Classical I enjoyed following the evolution musical movements forward in time.

12 Recommended Chicago Blues Albums:

Muddy Waters, The Best Of Muddy Waters (MCA-Chess)

Litlle Walter, The Best Of Little Walter (MCA-Chess)

Jimmy Reed, Speak The Lyrics To Me, Mama Reed (Vee-Jay)

Howlin' Wolf, Howlin' Wolf/Moanin' In The Moonlight (MCA-Chess)

Various Artists, Chicago/The Blues/Today!, Volumes 1-3 (Vanguard)

Junior Wells, Hoodoo Man Blues (Delmark)

Otis Rush, 1956-1958 (Paula)

Elmore James, The Best Of Elmore James-The Early Years (Ace)

Hound Dog Taylor, Hound Dog taylor & The HouseRockers (Alligator)

Various Artists, Blues Masters, Volume 2: Postwar Chicago (Rhino)

Paul Butterfield, Paul Butterfield Blues Band (Elektra)

Magic Sam, West Side Soul (Delmark)

While the Elmore James "Let's Cut It" Is electric chicago Blues, his roots are pure Delta. He was born to a poor black family in Richland Mississippi in 1918. He lived there until he was 19 when his family moved to the Delta town of Belzoni. When he started playing (after R.J.s death) he would hook up with the like of Sonny Boy Williamson and James Williamson.

About as Delta blues as you can get, just a different finished product.

Dang I miss Junior Wells. I had the privilege to see him live more than once and at a private show also. That man could blow harp!

I knew this would get out of control in terms of recommended albums, so here are some female singers. I guess Memphis Minnie is acoustic chicago/memphis blues and a notable female blues guitarist (and singer).

What do you think of these prewar recordings and performances vs say the 50's.

10 Recommended Albums:

Various Artists, Blues Masters, Vol. 11: Classic Blues Women (Rhino)

Bessie Smith, The Collection (CBS)

Ma Rainey, Ma Rainey (Milestone)

Sippie Wallace, 1923-29 (Alligator)

Victoria Spivey, 1926-31 (Document)

Mamie Smith, In Chronological Order, Vol. 1 (Document)

Lucille Bogan, 1923-35 (Story of Blues)

Alberta Hunter, Young Alberta Hunter (Vintage Jazz)

Ethel Waters, Jazzin' Babies' Blues, 1921-1927 (Biograph)

Various Artists, ^Women's Railroad Blues: Sorry But I Can't Take ou (Rosetta)

Thanks for all the suggestions! I've got a few songs by each artist you recommended ready for a listen today. I still need to sample others from the lists I posted.

I'm listening to ROBERT JOHNSON - Crossroads Blues. Although I'm not very familiar with the old blues recordings their influence on rock is clear and through listening to rock artists like Eric Clapton, tunes like this one are very familiar. Whether covered later by bands like the STONES or just guitar riffs integrated into new songs the linkages are interesting for the rock fan.

As a Led Zep fan I found MEMPHIS MINNIE & KANSAS JOE's "When the Levee Breaks" enjoyable--love the guitar work.

Blue Grass/C&W/Blues/Jazz/etc. all are wonderful truely American contributions that have been big influences on rock and especially a lot of British bands.