Adding center/surround speakers to my system

xr7segfault

Hi guys. After years of putting up with sucky stereos, I finally decided to go for something a bit nicer. Now, I have a harman/kardon AVR45 receiver and a pair of KG3.5s. I would not have considered Klipsch except that I grew up around a friend of my dad's, who had a set of Heresies. The experience of speakers that can sound immaculate and pound hard enough to knock things off of the wall while being driven by a 40 watt/ch amp isn't something you soon firget. smile.gif

My main focus is music, but I want to have *something* for home theater that will make me happy. I was originally going to buy a set of small JBL center and surround speakers for ~$100 at Best Buy. After hearing how phenomenal the Klipsches sound, however, I no longer want to disgrace them like that!

Unfortunately, as a college student, I'm not in the best of living conditions. I am in a small room, and my computer monitor doubles as a TV. The SC-1 center channel and probably the SS-1 surrounds (recommended for my speakers) are too darn big for my needs. How do you guys think the Quintet center and surrounds would mesh with my system? Can you get a Q center channel on its own, or packaged with 2 surrounds, or is it all part of the full system? If not, are there any other brands that would work well? The center channel cannot be any bigger than 6"x13", and the surrounds should be pretty small as well.

TIA!

And just to clarify for you ... no, the Quintet center channel is not available separately. It must be bought as part of the Quintet system.

Afraid's suggestion is good -- those are the kid brothers of the SS-1/SC-1. Since your main focus is music, rather than HT, you'll probably be satisfied with them. Typically, for HT, you want a center channel that is timbre matched to the front speakers, and the SC-.5 will sound different from the KG's. But, it probably won't be different enough to bug you since HT is not a main use of your system.

Glad you got Klipsch!

Doug