sony video switching

some guy

I just built my father a system that is almost identical to the one I own. All components are sony and the receiver (str-de975) features video switching. My system works fine but I cant get my dads worked out. The DVD player is hooked up with s video and digital coax but all other components (cable box, vcr) are hooked up with RCA cables. The problem is that the receiver uses a different buss for analog and digital signals and It will not switch between them. As a result i need to leave the S video disconnected from the tv in order to watch an analog source and reconnect it to watch DVD. I know that this system can work because mine does but I cant figure out how to get this setup correctly. I think the wiring is correct and I need to tell either the receiver or the television to allow video switching.

I imagine that the Sony will switch any composite video sources to its composite video output and any s-video sources to its s-video output to the monitor, correct? (IOW, I don't think it converts composite to s-video, right?) That means you'll need to have a composite AND an s-video connection to your TV.

Your TV should have (if it's fairly new, anyway) at least 2 different banks of video inputs. You would connect the composite to one bank and the s-video to the other bank, and switch them on your TV's remote depending on if you are watching DVDs or other sources. A programmable remote with macro function makes this a snap.

BTW, if your DVD and TV have component video connections, I'd suggest using those over s-video. The picture is, IMO, a bit more natural.

DD